March 19, 2018 9.03 am This story is over 42 months old

Watch as Lincoln and Grimsby fans fight on High Street

Three arrests on the day.

Lincoln City beat Grimsby Town 3-1 on Saturday, but some fans had their own punch-up on the High Street ahead of the match.

The Lincolnite was sent footage of the fans’ behaviour when they clashed on the lower High Street near Iceland, with dozens of men pushing, shoving and punching each other.

As the fans were then escorted by police down the High Street to the match, they can be seen throwing flares as children and families make their way to Sincil Bank.

Lincolnshire Police made three “minor pre-match arrests” as there was an increased police presence in the city in anticipation of the derby.

The arrests related to pyrotechnic offences and one was for an alleged affray, police said.

The force also issued several anti-social behaviour (ASB) notices, but said the day passed peacefully overall, with supporters leaving the match “with no consequence”.

Shaun West, Assistant Chief Constable for Lincolnshire Police, said: “From my point of view, this was a successful policing operation that took place without major incident.

“The fans were superb, and the match was a fantastic spectacle and win for Lincoln.

“We did experience a couple of incidents. Early on in the day we issued a number of ASB notices in relation to an altercation in the High Street between a group of fans from both sides.

“Thankfully, nobody was seriously hurt and we will investigate this in due course. Our officers attended, the two groups were separated, and ASB notices were issued to those involved.

“This meant those people had to leave the area and so any potential further trouble was avoided.

“These notices are effective because they not only protect any public in the area from ASB, in this case mainly shoppers in Lincoln, but also stop any negative behaviour escalating and therefore protect the individuals who are themselves issued with the notice.

“I’m confident this was an effective and proportionate course of action in this instance.

“A separate small group of supporters were escorted by officers to the ground to ensure they made it there without consequence.

“Separate to this, three pre-match arrests were made. Two were in relation to suspected pyrotechnic offences and one was for an alleged affray. That is now all part of an active investigation.

“I would like to make very clear that the majority of people who attended this match were there in support of their team and for the love of the game.

“Tickets for this match were sold out, meaning the stadium was at capacity of around 10,000, so the individuals who caused these minor problems were very much in the minority.

“That’s the way it should be. People who attend football matches, not to mention those who don’t but who happen to be in the area when one is taking place, should be able to go about their business without fear of intimidation, distress or alarm.

“We will continue to plan for these types of fixtures and police them robustly to make sure this is and continues to be the case.

“In terms of the match today, the policing operation as well as the behaviour of the vast majority of people who attended meant the event passed peacefully and that’s fantastic not only for football fans but for the people of Lincoln.

“I’d like to thank the fans for that, but also all the police officers and staff who were part of this operation for all their hard work on what was a long and bitterly cold day.”

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.