Lincoln firefighters called out to Brayford water rescues “at least once a month”

Firefighters in Lincoln said they are called out at least once a month to help people who have got into trouble in the Brayford and the rivers off it.

Specially-trained firefighters from Lincoln North station undertook water rescue training in the Brayford area this week as part of Drowning Prevention and Water Safety week.

Lincoln firefighters Andy Lennon and Henry Ford prepare for their water rescue training with Crew Manager Steve Crane and Watch Commander Simon Cartwright. Photo: Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue

The firefighters also spoke with staff at bars and restaurants on the Brayford to pass on advice about what to do in an emergency.

This campaign focuses on warning people about cold water shock, which causes a number of fatalities each year.

Young people and even strong swimmers are unaware of the effect it can have on their ability to swim.

Firefighter Henry Ford is rescued from the waters of the Brayford. Photo: Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue

A number of initiatives will take place across the county where Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue’s operational crews will reiterate water dangers and educate the public on safety.

Crew manager Steve Crane said: “We are called out at least once a month to an incident where someone has got into difficulty in this water or the rivers of it.

“The people who work alongside the waterfront are ideally placed to act but we would never advise anyone to go into the water.  They are in effect first responders and can play a vital role in assisting someone by throwing out a line which are located along the Brayford and alerting the emergency services.”

Steve added: “While these areas of water may look inviting, especially on a hot day, there are hidden dangers below the surface that could make you ill, injure you or even kill you. Cold water can affect your breathing and can reduce your muscle ability and can even lead to heart attack.”

“People should also consider the water is untreated and may be polluted with bacteria and algae which can cause stomach upsets or even illnesses.”