October 8, 2018 11.55 am This story is over 37 months old

Crews rush to fire near Lincoln art gallery

The cause of the fire has been determined

Firefighters were called to the scene after a mattress caught fire in a small building in the grounds of the Usher Gallery.

Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue were called at 12.19pm on Monday, October 8 and sent a crew from Lincoln North, who extinguished the fire and made the area safe.

The cause of the fire was discarded smoking materials and firefighters have now left the scene.

A spokesperson for Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue said: “On arrival it was discovered that it was a mattress on fire in the grounds of the Usher Gallery and the crew extinguished the fire and made things safe. The cause was carelessly discarded smoking materials.”

A passer by who witnessed the incident told The Lincolnite: “It looked like a pile of carnage. Many people were having lunch on the grassy areas and a big group of young people were standing at the site. One lad threw a bottle of water on it.”

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.