Last surviving Dambuster George ‘Johnny’ Johnson visits Lincoln

This story is over

The last surviving British member of the Dambusters raid, Squadron Leader George “Johnny” Johnson, spoke to students about their experiences when he returned to the education centre he opened last year.

As previously reported, he officially opened the new George Johnson Education Centre on Weaver Road. A special ceremony was held at the centre set up by the Specialist Education Support Network on March 7, 2018.

A proud day for George ‘Johnny’ Johnson. Photo: Steve Smailes for The Lincolnite

The centre supports young people aged 14-16 with complex needs including social, emotional and behavioural difficulties. Since its launch it has supported over 50 young people.

George recently returned to visit the alternative education and wellbeing provision in line with the anniversary in Woodhall Spa of the Dambusters’ successful completion of the 617 Dambusters raid.

He met with all the staff and the students during his visit. He spoke to students about their experiences and offered some positive advice about their future.

Photo: Steve Smailes for The Lincolnite

The 97-year-old said: “I am proud to be associated with the support this great team is offering its young people and think it is so valuable”.

CEO of Specialist Education Support Network, Richard Bell, said: “It was fantastic to see Johnny meet and interact with our students. His passion and interests in supporting vulnerable people at 97-years-old speaks volumes about his character.”