Lincoln extra care apartments will cost £12m

A new extra care facility Lincoln will cost £12 million, documents before Lincolnshire County Council next week revealed.

The Extra Care Housing at De Wint Court was approved by City of Lincoln Council in December last year.

It will see the existing authority-owned facility on Bowden Drive flattened in order to build the new development.

On Wednesday, committee members will be asked to approve a £2.8 million spend from the £11.886 million adult care capital to start development in October.

A report also confirms the City of Lincoln Council plans to put £6 million aside for the facility, with Homes England adding in an extra £3.2 million.

In exchange, the county will get first right of refusal on 35 of the planned apartments for 30 years.

The current De Wint Court site on Bowden Drive.

Extra care housing provides accommodation for older people who want to remain “self-sufficient” but also have the option of on-site care if they need it.

The report says that the council has previously sought similar proposals from developers but had limited interest so had to consider alternative arrangements.

“The best delivery method has been sought to ensure that LCC is legally in a safe place, to provide best value for money across the county, and enrich the lives of as many county residents as possible,” it says.

“The Extra Care schemes will provide Lincolnshire residents with high quality, flexible accommodation for old age. 

“The schemes will encourage independence and targeted well-being and care and this reduces dependence on residential care and incidences of poor health and hospitalisation.”


SUBSCRIBE TO LOCAL DEMOCRACY WEEKLY, our exclusive email newsletter with highlights from coverage every week, as well as insights and analysis from our local democracy reporters.