June 17, 2019 3.22 pm This story is over 53 months old

Violence and safety concerns see hotel licence suspended

Opening hour restrictions and tighter door controls were also applied

An Alford hotel will have its licence suspended following a string of incidents including an alleged glassing.

Councillors at East Lindsey District Council heard of reported incidents at the Windmill Hotel, going back to 2016, including assaults by unlicensed door staff, and a lack of door supervision.

As well as suspending the licence, held by designated premises supervisor Sally Hewson, members also reduced the opening hours to 11pm, applied tougher controls over door supervisors, and issued a “strict warning”.

The pub was also banned from using glass drinking containers in the bar, pool or garden – restricting it to the restaurant area only. Conditions included stopping those with glasses from leaving the premises and banning those with open or sealed bottles from entering.

A spokesman for the council said: “The sub-committee noted the history of the premises, in particular the recent history regarding non-compliance with the premises licence conditions and the incidents at the premises including the latest incident which involved a glassing incident.

“The sub-committee decided the modification of the licence conditions and the other steps, detailed in this notice, were an appropriate step for the promotion of the licensing objectives of the prevention of crime and disorder, prevention of public nuisance and public safety.”

Lincolnshire Police called for the licence review after losing confidence in the supervisor’s ability.

The force raised concerns over CCTV, staff training and incident or refusals logs.

Reports described how in the latest incident on Friday, April 5, they were called to South Street to a report of a glassing and a male having his head and body stamped on.

They say the victim, who was found lying face down in the road, told officers he had been attacked by a male who had chased him from the hotel.

Police attending the scene said they were told by staff that nothing had happened inside the premises and CCTV was not recording.

A man was arrested and later released under investigation.

The business 21 days to appeal the decision. If it does not, the suspension will come into effect in July.

SUBSCRIBE TO LOCAL DEMOCRACY WEEKLY, our exclusive email newsletter with highlights from coverage every week, as well as insights and analysis from our local democracy reporters.