August 21, 2019 4.44 pm This story is over 51 months old

Fire heroes leap into action to stop gas explosion

A father of three has been praised for his quick thinking

Two men have been praised for their heroic actions after they rushed towards a fire to stop gas bottles exploding.

Chapel Furniture, on South Road in Chapel St Leonards, went up in flames on Tuesday, August 20 but it could have been much worse.

David Wardle, a 44-year-old father of three, was in Kings Chippy just across the road when he noticed the fire.

He immediately called Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue but realised that ten gas canisters could soon burst into flames.

“Plenty of children and people were around,” David told Lincolnshire Reporter. “If those gas canisters exploded it would have been horrendous.

“I had a stroke four years ago so I was limping over to the fire along with another gentleman who was passing by on a bike at the time.

David Wardle rushed in to stop the gas canisters catching fire.

“The adrenaline kicked in so I have never moved so quick in my life. The man who was with me at the time got some minor burns on his arms but he was okay.

“I’ve had a fair bit of praise from people but I didn’t do it for that, I just wanted to stop people from getting hurt.”

Both of the men managed to move the gas canisters away in time, all before the fire engines arrived to put out the blaze.

Chapel Furniture went up in flames. Photo: Google Maps

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue has said there was damage to the contents of the building, as well as heat and smoke damage to the building itself.

They extinguished the fire with three main jets, two hose reels and breathing apparatus. One crew stayed behind for a few more hours to damp down.