The Scunthorpe, Grimsby and Goole hospitals will restrict their hours and the number of people who can visit patients in a bid to stop the spread of coronavirus.
These changes begin on Tuesday, March 17. They include:
- Two visitors per adult patient (no children under the age of 16 without prior permission from the ward)
- Two parents/or carers per child patient
- Maternity – restricted to two birthing partner/s
- Visiting hours restricted to 2pm to 4pm and 6pm to 8pm
- Emergency department (A&E) – restricted to two people if needed to provide support
- Those who are unable to make decisions for themselves, in line with the mental capacity act regulations, may be accompanied.
Chief Nurse, Ellie Monkhouse, said: “We know it’s important for our patients to see family and friends but please consider if your visit is essential to help prevent the spread of infection. We want to reduce the risk to our staff, patients and visitors and this is one way of doing that.
“In some cases, such as where patients are critically ill or nearing the end of their life, we will of course do our very best to accommodate your visiting needs. If you have any questions about the guidance please speak to the relevant ward manager.”
Medical Director, Dr Kate Wood, said: “We have robust plans in place to deal with coronavirus and our teams are working hard behind the scenes in preparation for any confirmed cases at our hospitals.
“By restricting visiting, it will allow our medical, nursing, therapy and support teams more time to focus on our patients without the hustle and bustle of extra people on our wards.
“We know there will be instances where it is vital that people come and visit their loved ones, and we will ensure to try and accommodate that as far as possible, however the protection of our staff, patients and visitors is of paramount importance to us.”
The control control measures in these three hospitals are:
- You should avoid coming to the hospital if you are feeling unwell, including with cold or flu symptoms.
- If you have a persistent cough or fever, please do not enter the building.
- Discretion will be applied on compassionate grounds by the nurse/midwife in charge
- Wash or gel your hands as soon as you enter a ward or unit