Lincoln
August 10, 2021 10.24 am

5G mast u-turn: A ‘hole’ mess of confusion in Witham St Hughs

Dig it up, fill it in

A hole dug for a 5G mast in a Lincoln village following a planning blunder has now been filled in again after North Kesteven District Council and Lincolnshire County Council raised fresh concerns about the location.

Three’s planning application for the mast on Warren Lane, in Witham St Hughs, was deemed to have consent after NKDC failed to meet a deadline for a decision, despite saying it had intentions to refuse the proposals.

Work began on the site last week, but the parish council and local residents kicked off over the weekend, calling it “illogical to tear up a footpath that serves as a main route to the school, the Co-Op and Market Square”.

Now, it appears the mobile operator has re-filled the hole for the 18-metre tall mast (2.2 times higher than the nearby streetlights.)

An NKDC spokesperson said: “Work on the 5G telecommunications mast footings has been instructed to pause at this time, following concerns around the impact of the mast on the footpath and cycleway.

“North Kesteven District Council and Lincolnshire County Council as the highways authority will seek to continue to liaise together with the operator on the matter and next steps.”

A spokesperson for Three said they were “awaiting consent from the Highways Authority to open the road to enable us to build the mast”.

They previously said they had conducted extensive searches and consultation to find the best option.

“Masts needs to be situated where people will be using the service and, in precise locations to ensure the widest breadth of coverage,” they said.

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.