Property

The Grade II Listed Judge’s Lodgings, situated in between Lincoln’s castle and cathedral, has been listed on the market for £850,000.

The building is steeped in history, having been built in around 1820 by architect William Hayward to serve as the crown court.

It was given a two storey extension in the 1960s to the rear of the property, which contains various bedrooms and other amenity space, while a small garden can be found to the side of the property, with pedestrian access off Castle Hill.

The Judge’s Lodgings can be found in the middle of Lincoln Castle and Cathedral. | Photo: Lambert Smith Hampton

It has now been listed by Lambert Smith Hampton at a guide price of £850,000 on a 999 year leasehold, with the brochure advertising it as a multi-purpose commercial development.

The ‘Permitted User’ clause allows for the 501 square metre property to be reimagined into a variety of uses, including a theatre, public house, live music venue, public hall, library, museum or retail unit.

The building used to serve as Lincoln Crown Court. | Photo: Lambert Smith Hampton

Lambert Smith Hampton will be listening to offers until 12pm on Wednesday, March 9, and you can view the full listing here.

Applications must include full identity of the purchaser, proposed purchase prices, proof of funding, the basis of offer and proposed use of the building.

The possibilities are endless for it. | Photo: Lambert Smith Hampton

The property was last on the market in January 2021, listed for £800,000 by Banks Long & Co with Lincolnshire County Council wanting to sell to an owner who could “protect the fabric and heritage” of the Lodgings.

A great view of Lincoln Castle too! | Photo: Banks Long & Co

A beautiful five-bedroom home in Sudbrooke that is described as ideal for entertaining has been listed on the market for £1,250,000.

The property on Poachers Lane in Sudbrooke, north of Lincoln, has been listed by Savills Lincoln. See the full listing here.

For that price, you get five bedrooms and bathrooms, a block paved driveway with a triple garage, a bespoke kitchen breakfast room which opens out onto the garden, and even a loggia with an outdoor log burner.

The loggia comes complete with a log burner. | Photo: Savills Lincoln

It is situated on a quiet cul-de-sac in the much sought after village of Sudbrooke, around five miles from central Lincoln.

Let’s take a look inside:

Huge garden space on the large plot. | Photo: Savills Lincoln

The naturally lit kitchen breakfast room overlooks the garden. | Photo: Savills Lincoln

It is a grand kitchen space, ideal for hosting guests. | Photo: Savills Lincoln

The ensuite comes with a built-in bathtub. | Photo: Savills Lincoln

There are five bathrooms inside. | Photo: Savills Lincoln

It is covered by three floors. | Photo: Savills Lincoln

The sitting room has bifold doors with easy access to the garden, as well as a modern fireplace. | Photo: Savills Lincoln

Another lounge area, this time with vaulted ceilings. | Photo: Savills Lincoln

The principal bedroom looking out at your very own loggia. | Photo: Savills Lincoln

| Photo: Savills Lincoln

| Photo: Savills Lincoln

An 18th century town centre hotel and pub in Brigg which was once visited by Winston Churchill during the Second World War, is on the market for just shy of £1 million.

Built around 1760, The Exchange Coach House Inn retains many of its historic features despite spending decades trading successfully as an independent hotel, bar and restaurant.

Owner Joseph Mullen has been in charge for the last 38 years, but was forced to close the business in 2020 to allow for a complete refurbishment of the Exchange Tavern, a new establishment with keen anticipation in Brigg.

He will now be stepping back from his ownership of the Exchange Coach House and is seeking new investors to take over the commercial real estate, marketed by Colliers at a guide price of £950,000.

Mr Mullen has said: “I have spent the last four decades developing the Exchange Coach Inn into what it is today. All three buildings have been perfectly designed to meet the needs of not just local residents and their events, but also corporate businesses and visitors to the area too.

“Following the pandemic, I’ve decided now is a good time to retire and I look forward to seeing how the business thrives in the future.”

The building dates back to around 1760. | Photo: Colliers

It is split into three main buildings that are each linked to a courtyard with access to both Bigby Street and Wrawby Street through a large archway via the original coach house.

Each building is individually Grade II listed, boasting a gas lamp bar with stage and dance floor, a wood panelled tavern with a marble floor restaurant/diner, as well as a hotel with 42 en-suite letting bedrooms.

It is steeped in history, namely with a surprise appearance from the then Prime Minister of the country Winston Churchill during the difficult times of the Second World War between 1939 and 1945.

The building was bought by a group of wealthy farmers in around 1895, and it was given the name of The Exchange Club for many years before the farming community collapsed and it became derelict in the 1970s.

Robert Smithson, Associate Director in Colliers’ Hotel Agency team has said: “The Exchange Coach House Inn is a spectacular property in a superb prominent town centre location with unique, historic and traditional features.

“The property offers endless opportunities for a new investor wishing to develop an established business with plenty of potential for further growth.

“We are expecting strong interest and are looking forward to helping Joseph find a suitable buyer ahead of his retirement.”

There are multiple tales of spooky happenings at The Exchange Coach House Inn, including phantom footsteps, a headless monk and the ghost of a little girl who is said to have fallen from the building roof.

+ More stories