December 5, 2011 12.39 pm This story is over 147 months old

Imps ring changes before Luton Town clash

Changes: Mitchell Nelson is to leave the club, just over two weeks after the defender was signed on loan.

Imps manager Holdsworth is bringing in some changes ahead of the Luton match

Lincoln City on Monday announced Mitchell Nelson is to leave the club, just over two weeks after the defender was signed on loan.

Manager David Holdsworth also announced the imminent departure of striker Bradley Barraclough to Evo-Stick Northern Premier League side Buxton FC, while admitting a further two City players could be sent out on loan.

22-year-old Nelson was on his third loan spell from League One side AFC Bournemouth – his services were due to expire on December 18 – and was a regular feature in the City backline.

He last played for City in their 2-0 defeat at Wrexham last month, and will return to his parent club today, with no official reason given for his departure.

Holdsworth said: “This morning Bournemouth recalled (Nelson). We’d like to thank Bournemouth and we’d like to thank (manager) Lee Bradbury’s assistance because he did me a favour.

“But his loan spell ended today and I wish him and Bournemouth every success.”

City play Luton Town at Sincil Bank on Tuesday having lost their last two Blue Square Bet Premier games – 2-0 and 1-0 to York City and Newport County respectively.

Holdsworth is under no illusions about the task against the league’s promotion chasers Town, who lie sixth in the table and are unbeaten in eight out of 11 games at home.

He said: “Full credit to (Town boss) Gary Brabin. I know that the expectation levels there are very high, they’ve facilitated that in the type of players that they’ve got.

“They’ve got some very talented boys. It will be a very good game for us to play in and I’m looking forward to it.”

While there is good news that City have been drawn against Blue Square Bet North side Colwyn Bay in the FA Trophy, Holdsworth admitted the Imps were hurting after their 1-0 league defeat at Newport last Saturday.

The game was more memorable for the rain-lashed pitch, which made life difficult for both sides and ultimately caused a relatively harmless looking Newport free-kick in the first half to be bundled into the City goal.

The second half of that game was a different story as City dominated their opponents, but failed to find the killer touch in the final third of the pitch.

Holdsworth added: “The facts speak for themselves. We had far superior corners and possession.

“Going to Newport County and getting that takes some guts and some belief. We came off the pitch hurting. It was a close game but often such games are finalised by one slip and that’s what it came out to be.

“I felt we played well enough for a point at least, but it’s football and you have to respect it and look at the bigger picture.”