Firefighters have issued a warning following a caravan blaze in Skegness last night.
Caravaners and campers in Lincolnshire are being reminded to take fire safety seriously as the summer holiday season gets underway.
Shona Wright, community fire safety manager at Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said: “In Lincolnshire, we have a large number of caravans and mobile homes, which are used for holidays, weekend breaks or for permanent residences.
“As caravans are often small enclosed spaces, are made of lightweight and highly combustible fittings and include hazards like gas cylinders, it is important that people know how they can reduce the risk of fire.”
Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue’s top fire safety tips are:
- Check there are working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms fitted and a dry powder fire extinguisher is located near the door.
- Park vans no less than three meters, but ideally six meters apart.
- Never use fuel-burning devices (e.g. disposable barbecues, camping stoves, camping heaters, lanterns or charcoal grills) inside a caravan.
- Never leave cooking appliances unattended.
- Don’t leave children alone in caravans.
- Always use metal ashtrays and do not smoke in bed.
If your caravan does catch fire, make sure you:
- Get out and stay out
- Stay well back from the caravan and do not make any attempt to go back inside.
- Call 999 giving your exact location and map reference or landmark where possible.