January 31, 2018 2.36 pm This story is over 54 months old

Drug supplier stabbed man five times with rambo-style knife in Grantham

The victim suffered life-threatening injuries.

A teenage drug supplier who almost killed a man after stabbing him five times with a rambo-style knife has been sent to a young offenders’ institution for 10 years.

Exo Bendo produced the knife after being accused of short-changing a customer he was supplying with crack cocaine.

His victim Kane Nagg suffered serious injuries with one of the blows severing an artery and came close to bleeding to death.

Andrew Vout, prosecuting, told Lincoln Crown Court: “He had been stabbed at least five times. There was a stab wound to his right thigh. The femoral artery had been transfixed. That was a life-threatening injury. The consultant surgeon said that could easily have led to death.”

Callum Easson, who has also been jailed

The incident happened after Bendo and Callum Easson travelled to Grantham to supply crack cocaine.

They met up with their client Kerry Askew at a house in Norton Street in the town but the deal went wrong when Ms Askew demanded her money back saying she has not received the correct amount of crack.

Mr Vout said Kerry Askew argued with Easson who punched her. She punched him back and then Bendo grabbed hold of her.

Kane Nagg, who is the partner of Ms Askew, then arrived at the property and intervened.

“Kane Nagg grabbed Bendo and told him not to hit her.

“At this point Bendo produced a large rambo-style knife from his man bag and started swinging it around.

“Bendo used the knife to chop Mr Nagg’s right hand and then went on to stab him several times as Mr Nagg tried to break away.

“Mr Nagg felt a warm sensation as blood began to gush down his leg. He went dizzy and then started to stumble. His partner found him as he was shouting ‘I’m dying, I’m dying.”

Bendo and Easson ran out of the property and left the area. Both were arrested later.

Mr Nagg later underwent an operation at the Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham.

Mr Vout said: “He now has a huge scar. This has had a profound effect on him. It has changed his life.”

Bendo, 19, of Annesley Grove, Nottingham, admitted charges of inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of an offensive weapon as a result of the incident on July 31, 2017.

Recorder Andrew Easteal, passing sentence, told him: “You are a young man. You are gifted, very able and bright but what you did that day was appalling. The attack was one of exceptional viciousness. You left him for dead.”

Easson, 19, of Leybourne Drive, Nottingham, admitted two charges of conspiracy to supply crack cocaine and heroin.

He also admitted possession of cannabis with intent to supply, supplying cannabis and possession of cocaine together with a further charge of possession of a sawn-off pump-action shotgun found in a wardrobe at his home.

He was sent to a young offenders’ institution for a total of eight years.

Adrian Langdale, for Bendo, said he arrived in the UK with his family in 2008 when they sought asylum from the Congo.

“Life has not been easy. At one point the family spent six months living in a homeless shelter.

“He has now settled down. He has a partner and she is pregnant with his child.”

Mr Langdale said that Bendo was a talented footballer and added: “He is still a very young man. He has shown remorse. He has no relevant previous convictions and this was an isolated incident.”

Adrian Reynolds, for Easson, described his client as “tagging along” with Bendo but accepted he faced a minimum five year sentence for the firearms offence.

“This isn’t someone who was funding a luxury lifestyle on the back of crime. He was living at home with his mother. He got involved in this through being a user of drugs.”

Detective Constable Pete Mount, of Grantham CID, said “The victim suffered life-threatening injuries and went through a sustained and frightening attack.

“This has been a long and protracted investigation into individuals who have travelled to Grantham for the sole purpose of committing serious crime in Lincolnshire.”