Lincoln quarry extension granted

A four-phase extension to a Stapleford-based quarry will secure its workers’ jobs and enable it to provide more than seven million tonnes of sand and gravel over the next 14 years.

Breedon Southern, which runs the Norton Bottoms Quarry, also put forward a restoration scheme to create new habitats, waterways and public access to the local area.

Lincolnshire County Council’s planning and regulation committee granted the plans on Monday.

An outline layout of the four phases of the extension.

The new extension of the facility, which stretches over into neighbouring Norton Disney, will cover an area of 78 hectares and would help provide reserves of materials until 2032.

Graeme King from Breedon Southern said the plans ‘evolved’ over four years including public engagements and brought 30 years of ‘piecemeal’ designs together.

He said the plans would extend the life of the quarry and secure 37 employees’ jobs directly and 20 indirectly.

How the restoration would look when finished.

He said: “Members should be sure the decision answers the need for steady and adequate supply of minerals for local and regional construction markets, provides a greater job security for a workforce, offers the opportunity to develop a diverse restoration scheme and enhance its access.”

Norton Bottoms currently has only two years’ supply left, and a planning officer told councillors the latest plans ‘assures continuity, not only of the site, but of supply for continuing needs’.

Councillor Marianne Overton said she was impressed by the applicant’s changes, but was still concerned over noise and distance.

However, she acknowledged there were government guidelines and that the site was allocated for quarry use in local plans.

National policies say authorities should have at least a seven years’ supply of sand and gravel.

The first phase of the works will take two years, with the second taking five.

A public footpath known as Breck’s Lane will be diverted until phase three.

Councillors were told that there had been ‘little negative’ comments regarding the plans, however, there had been concerns from neighbouring councils over the use of the A46 once vehicles had left the site.

Issues over noise and dust had been mitigated and the impact on visual amenity would be helped by new embankments being constructed while work was taking place.