July 1, 2019 2.48 pm This story is over 28 months old

Duo who stabbed man to death over £1 jailed for 37 years

“Both men are responsible for this tragic death”

Two men have been sentenced to a combined 37 years in prison for a man’s brutal murder in a Boston car park.

Mariusz Skiba and Dariusz Kaczkowski had argued with Przemeslaw Cierniak on the morning of January 10, 2019 after the victim asked them for £1.

Kaczkowski, 33, of Woodville Road, Boston, who stabbed Cierniak to death, was ordered to serve a minimum sentence of 23 years before parole.

Mariusz Skiba (L) and Dariusz Kaczkowski (R) attacked the man over a request for £1

Skiba, 32, of no fixed address, who joined the attack by ferociously kicking and punching him, was ordered to serve 14 years.

Lincoln Crown Court heard that after the three men went to the car park off Wormgate to  take amphetamines and drink alcohol together.

Mr Cierniak then asked for £1 – but an argument ensued. Kaczkowski turned violent and produced a seven inch blade, which he used to stab the victim multiple times. Skiba meanwhile beat him.

The victim rushed away to a nearby tanning salon where he collapsed. He later died from his injuries.

Despite emergency services arriving quickly, crews were unable to save him and he died at the scene

Lincoln Corwn Court heard on Monday, July 1 that the victim had died from two stab wounds to the chest which punctured his liver and lung.

Skiba and Kaczkowski initially left the scene and put the knife in rubbish bags, before heading to Asda. Kaczkowski bought a black fleece from the store which he put on before the pair returned to the scene, where they were arrested.

Kaczkowski’s finger prints and DNA were on the murder weapon and the pair were arrested.

Detective Sergeant Andy McWatt, from the East Midlands Special Operations Unit (EMSOU), said: “Przemeslaw Cierniak lost his life after he was stabbed in a brutal attack, having asked to borrow just £1.

“There can be no doubt that while Kaczkowski delivered the fatal blows, both men are responsible for this tragic death.

“The killers even attempted to cover their tracks by quickly leaving the scene and dumping the knife, before callously continuing as if nothing had happened, even shopping for a new fleece.

“However, due to the outstanding work by the Lincolnshire officers who attended initially, they were arrested shortly afterwards. With support from the East Midlands Special Operations Unit the weapon was recovered, which provided compelling evidence for this case.

“While this was an isolated incident and the three men were known to each other, it highlights the dangers of carrying knives. The consequences are often very serious and, in some cases, can prove fatal.”

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.