The 2019 Woodhall Spa 1940s Festival returns to the Lincolnshire village this weekend with a variety of activities, musical performances and stalls.
The event, which is run by a volunteer team of Woodhall residents, will take place on Saturday and Sunday, July 13-14.
A great line-up of 40s entertainers including Sarah Jane, Cleopatra Ridgeway, Jayne Darling and Lancashire Belle will perform across Woodhall Spa. There are also ticketed events in the evenings over the festival weekends.
Wheeled and tracked World War 2 military vehicles will be on display in Jubilee Park, as well as trade stalls. A display of pre 50’s civilian vehicles will be along the length of Station Road and the Broadway.
There will also be fun with Living History Groups. Re-enactor displays about Arnhem can be found in the Pine Woods. In Jubilee Park wander around displays by living history groups of World War II with tanks, armoured vehicles and jeeps with crews tents and equipment.
If that’s not enough entertainment there will also be Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and more over the weekend.
There is a full range of events taking place across the festival weekend throughout each day and earlier in the week in the build up to the main festival. Here are some of the highlights:
Quiz Night! – at Woodhall Spa Conservative Club at 7pm on Thursday, July 11. It includes some 40s themed questions. Every £5 ticket sold on the door helps support the festival.
Welcome Club – from 10am-1pm on Friday, July 12. A special morning of vintage entertainment at the welcome club including light refreshments and entertainment from Jayne Darling. Entry is free, but donations are welcomed.
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight – The Royal Air Force Battle of Britain Memorial Flight operates from RAF Coningsby. Expected flypast times are on Saturday at 1.25pm and Sunday at 2.25pm.
1950s Children’s Party – Coronation Hall will host the children’s party from 10am-12pm on Saturday, July 13. It is a free event for children up to 11 years and period costume is preferred. Games and singing and light 40s refreshments. Entry is free but donations to our festival will be most welcome.
Big Band Night with The Bluestones – An evening of big band music at Abbey Lodge Inn on Tattershall Road from 7pm-10pm on Saturday, July 13. Food served 7pm-8pm with The Bluestones Big Band performing 8pm-10pm. Tickets are priced at £15.
Tea Dances – Entertainment by Major Swing accompanied by Kitty and a chance to show off your best vintage costume. It will take place at Coronation Hall between 2pm-4pm on both Saturday and Sunday with a full buffet tea. Tickets are available priced at £12 per person from Pat Parry on 01526 352355 or e-mail [email protected]
Drop-in Dance Class with Major Swing – Head to Coronation Hall between 11am-12.30pm on Sunday, July 14 to a dance class hosted by Major Swing, who will be accompanied by Kitty. Just £2 per person and no booking is necessary.
Road Closure Orders for July 13-14
- Coronation Road (Stixwould Road to King George Avenue)
- Stanhope Avenue (Broadway to Victoria Avenue)
- Stanhope Avenue (Iddesleigh Road to Tor O Mor Road)
- Station Road (Tattershall Road to Broadway)
- Broadway (Station Road to Iddesleigh Road)
- Arnhem Way (Tattershall Road to Stanhope Avenue)
- Cromwell Avenue (Tattershall Road to Arnhem Way)
- St Leonards Avenue (Tattershall Road to St Peters Drive)
- Albany Road (Tattershall Road to St Peters Drive)
- Sylvan Avenue (Iddesleigh Road to Tor O Mor Road)
- Tarleton Avenue (Horncastle Road to Tor O Mor Road)
- Tor O Mor Road (Kirkby Lane to Stanhope Avenue)
- Turnberry Drive (Witham Road to Muirfield Way)
- Wentworth Way (Witham Road to Turnberry Drive)
- Alexandra Road (Witham Road to end)
- King Edwards Road (Witham Road to King Edward Avenue)
- Woodland Drive (Kirkby Lane to Kirkby Lane)
- Mill Lane (Closed Southbound only from Green Lane to Witham Road)
- Green Lane (Closed Southbound only from Stixwould Road to Mill Lane)
- Monument Road (Closed Southbound only from Glen Lodge Road to Stixwould Road)
- Edlington Moor/Glen Lodge Road (Closed Westbound only from Monument Road to Stixwould Road)
- Stixwould Road/B1192/B1191 Roundabout (To allow traffic direction by CSAS Marshalls)
- Stixwould Road/Green Lane/Monument Road (To allow traffic direction by CSAS Marshalls)
No waiting/no loading at any time orders in place on:
- Green Lane (Mill Lane to Stixwould Road)
- Stixwould Road (B1191 to Glen Lodge Road)
- B1191 The Broadway/Horncastle Road (Between Iddesleigh Road & Bainland Country Park)
- Stanhope Avenue (Iddesleigh Road to Victoria Avenue)
- Victoria Avenue (Stanhope Avenue to Tattershall Road)
- Iddesleigh Road (Broadway to Stanhope Avenue)
- Tattershall Road (B1191 to Abbey Lane)
- B1191 Witham Road (North side only from Wentworth Way to Tattershall Road)
- B1191 Witham Road (South side only from Tattershall Road to Kirkstead Bridge)
- Spa Road (Station Road to King George Avenue)
- King George Avenue (Spa Road to Coronation Road)
- Monument Road (Stixwould Road to Glen Lodge Road)
- Kirkby Lane (Between Horncastle Road & a point 650 metres Southeast)
Local diversion routes and access arrangements will be signposted.
Payment can also be made on the day priced at £10 per car (cash only).
The online booking system will close at 6pm on Thursday, July 11. After this you will have to be £10 (cash only) when you arrive at the car park.