September 24, 2019 12.30 pm This story is over 50 months old

Floral tributes laid for young man who died in Bardney river

His family and friends have made emotional tributes

Family and friends have paid tribute to a 21-year-old man who died after jumping into the river near Bardney.

Tom Steven Ruane dived into the River Witham on September 19 at around 3pm but he never resurfaced.

Police officers, the Swift Rescue Water Team, an ambulance and an air ambulance attended the scene at around 3.15pm.

The body of a 21-year-old man was recovered from the water.

Vicky Sargeant posted on social media: “Devastated. Be at peace Tom. Nanna and grandad will look after you.”

Bardney Lock. Photo: Steve Smailes for The Lincolnite

Ann Pensom said: “I know his family, this is so sad. Thoughts are with his family.”

Kirsty Nightingale wrote: “I’m so sorry for your loss. My son and Tom were best friends from the first year at Branston.

“Tom was such a lovely, polite, funny boy and a real good friend to my son.”

Charlotte Housego added: “Such sad news. Rest in peace little Tommy. Gone far too soon.”

Carol Starbuck said: “RIP. Our hearts bleed for your family. So many memories of you growing up, attending playgroup, school days and the season spent playing for HBW. Fly high up there.”

Emily Loynton wrote: “I’ll miss you so much.”

John Ringer lit a candle at Lincoln Cathedral and said: “This one is for our Tom. You will always be remembered and in our hearts. You were one of my best mates, love you man.”

Sergeant Andrew Shepherd said: “Emergency services have sadly recovered the body of a man from the river, despite the best efforts of rescue.

“While work is now underway to understand how the man came into ‘difficulty, I would like to take this opportunity to highlight this case as a reminder of the devastating consequences of entering open water – regardless of whether people do so deliberately or inadvertently.

As in this tragic case, open water can have hidden dangers that can prove fatal and I would urge anyone who spends any time on or near open water to use this case as a devastating reminder of that – particularly during the recent warm weather we have been experiencing.”

The death is not being treated as suspicious and the matter has been passed to the coroner.