September 2, 2019 4.50 pm This story is over 24 months old

Man dies after Lincoln house fire

Police and firefighters investigating the cause

Police confirmed that a 39-year-old man died after a fire broke out in a Lincoln YMCA property on Monday morning.

As previously reported, emergency services were called to St Hugh Street off Monks Road after the fire was reported to Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue at 9am on Monday, September 2.

Neighbours told The Lincolnite that they saw smoke billowing from the property and a window could be seen completely blown out and charred around the edges.

Photo: Connor Creaghan for The Lincolnite

The YMCA later confirmed that the fire had broken out at one of their domestic rental properties.

Lincolnshire Police and Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue are continuing investigations into the circumstances surrounding the fire.

Sean Taylor, Area Manager at Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said: “Our thoughts are with family, friends and neighbours at this difficult time.

“We will be visiting residents in the area over the coming week to offer support, reassurance and fire safety advice.”

Photo: Connor Creaghan for The Lincolnite

Traffic was being diverted through Rosemary Lane and Monks Road was completely shut off.

A next-door neighbour to the property told a reporter from The Lincolnite that she was in bed with her daughter when she heard shouting.

Karen Wade said: “I heard shouting next door with one of the guys saying ‘get out, there’s a fire!’ so I went outside to see what was happening.

“The next thing I heard was a lot of things being smashed and then I saw a TV flying out of the top window into the street.”

Emergency crews rushed to the scene. Photo: Ady Clarke

Harry Elston and Jack Glasson also said: “We were just a couple of streets down when he noticed thick black smoke coming from St Hugh Street.

“When we got here we could see the smoke billowing from the top window, but we couldn’t see any flames at that time.”

Photo: Connor Creaghan for The Lincolnite

Keeran Hitchborne said he was woken up by the sound of fire engines on the street.

“We haven’t been allowed anywhere near the house. I was asleep at the time but the sound of sirens woke me up.”

The cause of the fire is yet to be determined.

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.