November 12, 2019 10.03 am This story is over 24 months old

Flood warnings and alerts continue across Lincolnshire

A weather warning is in place for Thursday

Over 30 flood warnings and alerts affecting Lincolnshire remain in place on Tuesday morning, with heavy rain forecast in a number of areas of the county.

According to the Met Office, spells of heavy rain are forecast in areas including Alford, Wainfleet, Skegness, Grimsby and Scunthorpe on Tuesday.

The Met Office has also issued a yellow warning for rain, which will be in place between midnight and 11.45pm on Thursday, November 14 as a risk of further heavy rain may increase disruption from flooding.

Flood warnings & alerts

Ten flood warnings affecting Lincolnshire are currently in place at the time of writing.

This means flooding is expected and immediate action is required in the following areas:

  • Low Barlings and the Short Ferry Area
  • Patrington Haven on Winestead Drain
  • River Don at Moorends and Thorne
  • River Idle at Retford, Eaton and Gamston
  • River Idle at West Retford and Ordsall
  • River Trent at Carlton on Trent including Beck Cottage
  • River Witham and associated Fens from Chapel Hill to Boston
  • River Witham and associated Fens from Washingborough to Metheringham
  • River Witham and associated Fens from Woodhall Spa to Chapel Hill
  • Waithe Beck in the Hatcliffe Area

Hundreds of horses, donkeys, ponies, and mules are at risk at a rescue centre near Lincoln after they were hit by floods.

Several flood warnings and alerts are currently in place affecting Lincolnshire. Photo: Flood information service

The River Eau burst its banks flooding Short Ferry near Lincoln last week and the Environment Agency said it will be several days before water levels fall there.

23 flood alerts affecting Lincolnshire are also in place, meaning flooding is possible and to be prepared in the following areas:

  • Bain Catchment
  • Barlings Eau and Duckpool Catchwater
  • Burstwick and Keyingham Drains
  • Fossdyke Canal and River Till
  • Groundwater flooding south of the Humber Estuary
  • Holderness Drain
  • Lincoln Watercourses
  • Louth Canal and Waithe Beck
  • Lower River Ancholme
  • Lower River Derwent
  • Lower River Witham
  • Minor Watercourses in North Kesteven
  • Rase and Upper Ancholme
  • River Foulness and Market Weighton catchment
  • River Idle in Nottinghamshire
  • River Maun in Nottinghamshire
  • River Steeping
  • River Trent from Cromwell Weir to Gainsborough
  • River Trent in Nottinghamshire
  • River Wreake in Leicestershire
  • South East Holderness
  • River Ouse, Don and the Dutch River catchment
  • Witham in North Kesteven

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.

The Lincolnite welcomes your views. All comments are reactively-moderated and must obey the house rules. Please stay on topic and be respectful of other readers.

Plans to more than double the size of the Boston Pilgrim Hospital Accident and Emergency Department have finally been submitted to Boston Borough Council.

United Lincolnshire Hospitals Trust has asked for permission to complete the new facilities, which will see the cardio-respiratory, dental and support services building demolished and the existing emergency department retained and expanded into a brand new two-storey extension.

Documents said the plans will create a more welcoming approach to the hospital and help tackle the NHS Long Term Plan’s key improvements for emergency care, including comprehensive clinical screening, reducing the length of stay needed and increasing staff numbers.

“By expanding and reforming urgent and emergency care services, the practical goal is to ensure patients get the care they need fast, relieve pressure on A&E departments, and better offset winter demand spikes,” they said.

“The scheme addresses all these critical points and provides a key opportunity to address emergency care provision for the next 30 years.”

A map showing the areas to be demolished and expanded. | Image: ULHT

The department will more than double in size, according to the proposals, with more training rooms for staff, have a much bigger resuscitation zone and more cubicles to treat patients in, as well as having a separate area for emergency care of young patients.

The plans were originally announced by Prime Minister Boris Johnson in 2019 when the hospital was given £21.3 million government funding.

When they were later revealed in October 2021 United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust Chief Executive, Andrew Morgan, called it a “major milestone”.

How the build will look once finished. | Image: ULHT

“This is not only about the care that we provide today, but also for future generations,” he said.

“This design is going to deliver everything that we need it to and will give our patients and staff the first class environment that they need and deserve.”

Once planning permission is granted, final approval will be sought from the Department of Health and Social Care.

A family from Ruskington have gone above and beyond to help their local fire service light up Santa’s sleigh for his tour of Lincolnshire this month.

Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue are currently helping Santa Claus brighten up his sleigh ahead of a Lincolnshire-wide tour to get people in the Christmas spirit.

It was discovered that some of his lights were broken, but thankfully a family in Ruskington were on hand to help Father Christmas during his time of need.

The family were treated to a light show from a fire engine as they donated festive lighting for Santa’s sleigh tour. | Photo: Andy Mahoney

Louise Barratt, her partner Andy Mahoney, brother David Barratt and niece and nephew Levi and Penny, were eager to help Santa, so they paid a visit to their local fire station on Wednesday evening to donate some Christmas lights for his sleigh.

Louise said: “After recently hearing that our local fire service were helping Santa brighten his sleigh, it seemed only right that we recruit some new helpers for Santa.

“It was our mission to help Santa in his time of need so he can visit the local towns and villages later this month, ahead of his busiest night of the year, and to bring a little extra joy we want him to shine brighter than ever!”

Louise’s nephew Levi got to get some hose training in with the firefighters! | Photo: Andy Mahoney

During their visit to donate the lights, Louise’s nephew Levi was allowed to do some hose training with the fire team, and her niece Penny even got fitted for a new uniform.

Louise added: “Look out for Santa coming to a street near you, shining even brighter thanks to his new little helpers!”

Needless to say, this family will absolutely be on Santa’s nice list this Christmas, thanks to their wonderful act of generosity and kindness.

A Scunthorpe man has been jailed for seven months after trying to claim over half a million pounds for injuries he said he sustained in a minor car crash.

After the crash in Scunthorpe in March 2013, Sean Batley, now 56, of High Street in Crowle, filed a claim worth £571,000 three years later for brain injury, spinal disc injury, whiplash and migraines among others. The claim was for injury and loss of earnings.

Batley, who previously served a six-and-a-half-year sentence for sexual offences, claimed these injuries forced him to leave his job as a machine operator in 2014 and spend a year unemployed before setting up his own window cleaning business in April 2015, which subsequently failed because of his injuries.

Investigations by law firm Clyde & Co, on behalf of insurer AXA, revealed Batley had set up his window cleaning business a year earlier in April 2014 and had never stopped working.

Dates on the invoices Batley produced had been altered. It was also revealed the failure of the business was entirely unrelated to Batley’s health.

Evidence from medical rehabilitation practitioners showed Batley had not stopped working while undergoing treatment.

His claim that the crash had triggered serious migraine headaches was undermined by records from HMP Whatley, where he served a sentence for sexual offences – 13 charges of sex offences, including seven of sexual assault, some against teenage girls.

The prison records showed no history of migraines and the crash happened just nine days after Batley was released from his sentence.

Batley was found guilty of contempt of court at the Royal Court of Justice in London this week. During sentencing, the judge, her honour Judge Coe, said she had reached the conclusion that Batley’s conduct was so serious it merited an immediate sentence of imprisonment.

Damian Rourke, a partner at Clyde and Co who led the investigation, said: “This is one of the most shameful attempts I’ve seen to turn a minor accident into a huge payday. Once Batley realised his deception had failed, he tried to apologise to the court but it was too late.

“The law is very clear: if you exaggerate an injury for financial gain, the court can dismiss the claim and punish you. In this case, Batley’s claim was so grossly exaggerated, the judge felt he deserved to be jailed.”

Tom Wilson, senior counter fraud operations manager for AXA, said: “Insurance fraud is a serious crime which has significant consequences for fraudsters. Fraudulent claims result in higher insurance premiums for honest customers as insurers are faced with increased costs. That’s why AXA works hard to prevent fraud by investigating suspicious claims and by taking fraudulent claimants to court when necessary.

“We hope this punishment serves as a warning to deter others from attempting to commit insurance fraud and shows that we will take all action necessary to protect our customers.”

+ More stories

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: