A plan to turn part of historic Boston music venue the Axe and Cleaver into new homes “is not dead” despite being withdrawn by the applicant.
Framework, on behalf of Activ Property Management owner Matthew Clark had asked for the go ahead to turn the former pub’s upstairs flat and balcony into three separate apartments.
They had also wanted to build 11 extra apartments in the rear courtyard.
Mr Clark told Local Democracy Reporter Daniel Jaines: “The scheme is not dead, but it is being slightly adjusted with a view of being a sustainable investment project.”
Documents before Boston Borough Council outline a conversation between the authority’s planning and the agent on January 23.
Prior to this, Mr Clark had agreed to an extension of time for the authority to discuss the proposals further.
Mexican restaurant Los Burritos moved into part of the former Axe and Cleaver after Mr Clark was given permission to split the bottom half of the pub up into two separate units in June 2019.
The Axe and Cleaver closed in October 2016 with music from local act Crossfire.
When he took over the premises in January 2017, Mr Clark said it had “gone under invested for a great deal of time”.
Mr Clark had previously taken over the Grade II listed Assembly Rooms from Boston Borough Council in November 2012 after it was sold to him for £465,000.
He carried out a £1.25 million investment in the building and reopened it as a nightclub and town venue.
However, after four years where the venue was “very successful” it suffered extended periods of closure.
In March 2019, in response to councillors concerns Mr Clark blamed a “clearly advertised increase in violent crime and loss of employment” as impacting footfall.
However the venue announced new plans in June and has since held several events with promoters and DJs.
SUBSCRIBE TO LOCAL DEMOCRACY WEEKLY, our exclusive email newsletter with highlights from coverage every week, as well as insights and analysis from our local democracy reporters.