Not over yet: Developer to resubmit Norton Disney rendering plant proposal

Developers behind a £28 million animal rendering plant in Norton Disney have said they will resubmit a proposal for the facility after it was refused by county councillors.

The controversial plan was lodged by Lincoln Proteins Ltd for a site at Villa Farm in the village and would have seen the firm move from its Skellingthorpe factory.

But Lincolnshire County Council’s planning committee unanimously refused the plan on Monday, February 3.

Councillors said they were concerned over heritage, location and that the facility would “overshadow” the Lancaster Bomber gateway project off the A46.

The firm said it had “great sympathy” with the issues, but added that they had been addressed.

Site Layout Plan. Photo: Lincoln Proteins Ltd/JHWalter LLP Chartered Surveyors

It confirmed it had received a decision notice from the council and would now work to resubmit a revised scheme “that will address the outstanding issues”.

Alan Asker, operations manager for Lincoln Proteins, said: “Because of the sensitivity of this type of application, it has been hard at times to separate genuine concerns from the many points raised by objectors which might not be material planning considerations.

“The refusal and clarification within the documentation makes it very clear what we need to address in order to meet acceptable thresholds.”

He added that the firm would carry out additional surveys to tackle the reasons for refusal.

The proposal for Norton Disney proved controversial and the county council received 1,105 letters of objections against the plan.

Norton Disney residents in the public gallery at Lincolnshire County Council’s planning meeting where a £28 million animal rendering plant in the village was refused. Picture: Calvin Robinson.

Florence Bauer, who spoke against the proposal on Monday and has lived in Norton Disney for 24 years, said she was pleased with the decision.

“We’re really happy with the result,” she said.

“We’re really glad that the planning committee reviewed this application based on pure planning policy, regulation and the facts presented within the case.”

The proposal has attracted opposition since it was originally tabled three years ago.

More than 3,600 people signed a petition back in December 2017 against the plan, which was then presented to the county council.

In the same month, around 400 demonstrators took part in a march organised by the Witham Valley Preservation Group from Villa Farm to Norton Disney.


SUBSCRIBE TO LOCAL DEMOCRACY WEEKLY, our exclusive email newsletter with highlights from our coverage every week and insights and analysis from our local democracy reporters.

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.