Calvin Robinson

Local Democracy Reporter

Calvin Robinson worked as a Local democracy reporter covering Greater Lincolnshire for Stonebow Media.


Outbreaks of coronavirus in Greater Lincolnshire’s care homes since the start of the pandemic have been revealed.

Figures from Public Health England show the number of suspected or confirmed COVID-19 cases reported in facilities since the start of March.

According to the data, up to April 21 a total of 66 outbreaks were reported across the wider-county.

The figures were released as part of a government effort to be more transparent about the impact of coronavirus on communities and care homes.

North Lincolnshire had the most reported outbreaks, with 15 reported – around 25% of all the county’s care homes.

The lowest was in Boston with two recorded in the region’s 17 care homes.

Meanwhile, Lincoln had 11 outbreaks reported which amounts to around 35% of all the city’s facilities.

  • Lincoln – 11
  • North Kesteven – 5
  • South Kesteven – 10
  • West Lindsey – 7
  • East Lindsey – 6
  • Boston – 2
  • South Holland – 4
  • North Lincolnshire – 15
  • North East Lincolnshire – 6

Around a third of all care homes in the UK have reported a confirmed or suspected outbreak of coronavirus, according to the data.

More than 4,500 care homes across the country may have been affected by the virus, approximately 29% of all care homes since March 10.

The news comes as public health officials in Lincolnshire confirmed that 19 people have died of COVID-19 in the county’s care homes.

Tony McGinty, assistant director of public health at Lincolnshire County Council, said: “Every single one of those deaths is tragic. Each one of them represents a person that has likely died earlier than they might have done.

“They may not have been able to have families around them because of restrictions and every death is one too many.”

Follow the latest coronavirus lockdown updates here

Lincolnshire remembers loved ones lost to coronavirus

50 patients are currently being treated for COVID-19 in Lincolnshire’s hospitals, trust bosses have confirmed.

United Lincolnshire Hospitals Trust, which runs Lincoln, Boston and Grantham hospitals, has so far discharged 185 patients who tested positive for coronavirus.

Trust bosses added that hospitals had so far had a total of 337 COVID-19 inpatients.

It comes as the death toll for COVID-19 in the county’s hospitals reached 100 yesterday (April 29).

Earlier this week, the trust saw its first frontline fatality as Anujkumar Kuttikkottu Pavithran, known as Kumar to colleagues and a staff nurse at Boston Pilgrim, died of coronavirus.

Anujkumar Kuttikkottu Pavithran, a staff nurse at Boston Pilgrim, died of coronavirus this week.

Andrew Morgan, chief executive of ULHT, paid tribute to Kumar and described him as a “a very well liked, professional, respected member of the team”.

Staff at Pilgrim will hold a special Blue Light ‘clap for carers’ tonight in memory of their colleague.

Meanwhile, Lincolnshire has seen 804 cases tested positive so far.

Public health bosses confirmed this morning that 19 deaths have also been recorded in the county’s care homes.

The government started to add care home deaths to the UK’s death toll yesterday.

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said the uK was still “coming through the peak” of the coronavirus pandemic.

As a result, the number of deaths nationally now stands at 26,097.

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said the UK was still “coming through the peak” of the virus.

Mr Raab urged people to be patient with social distancing measures and added that the government had to be careful with any decisions it made on changes to the restrictions.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to outline more detail on the government’s conditions to lift lockdown today.

Follow the latest coronavirus lockdown updates here

Lincolnshire remembers loved ones lost to coronavirus

More than 100 COVID-19 deaths have now been recorded at Lincoln, Boston and Grantham hospitals.

A further four fatalities were confirmed at United Lincolnshire Hospitals Trust sites today (April 29), taking the total up to 101.

All of those who died had underlying health conditions.

One death was also announced at Northern Lincolnshire and Goole NHS Foundation Trust hospitals.

A ULHT spokesperson said: “Sadly we can confirm that four further patients who were being cared for in our hospitals, and had tested positive for COVID-19, have died.

“The patients were a woman aged 59, and three men aged 86, 87 and 89 who all had underlying health conditions.

“Their families have been informed and our thoughts and condolences are with them at this difficult and distressing time.”

It means that the total death toll in the wider-county has reached 164.

  • Lincolnshire – 101
  • Northern Lincolnshire – 63

Meanwhile, a further 445 people who tested positive for coronavirus have died in hospitals across the country.

NHS England said the patients were aged between 14 and 101 years old, 27 of them had no known underlying health conditions.

Follow the latest coronavirus lockdown updates here

Lincolnshire remembers loved ones lost to coronavirus

+ More stories