Thousands visit Lincoln Castle for first re-opening weekend

Around 2,500 people visited Lincoln Castle over the bank holiday weekend whilst adhering to social distancing guidelines.

Lincoln Castle re-opened its grounds to the public on Saturday, May 23, which remain open seven days a week from 10am to 5pm.

It was the first time the iconic building had been open to the public since the middle of March and social distancing measures, including a one way system, were put in place.

Staff said there were lots of positive comments from people who were grateful that the grounds were open, with one saying it offered her a ray of hope that things are getting better.

Social distancing measures were put in place. Photo: Lincoln Castle

The castle is now planning for phase two of its re-opening, which includes the Medieval Wall Walk and a takeaway cafe option.

Kimberley Vickers, General Manager at Lincoln Castle, said: “It really has been a huge team effort to get to this point with my colleagues going above and beyond. I truly believe that the staff at the Castle have stepped up at this difficult time to deliver a much loved service for the community.

“The social distancing aspect to the visitor experience and their role was particularly unfamiliar to them, but they have remained unfazed and committed to ensuring that everyone who visited had an enjoyable time.

“We will now be looking forward to planning for phase two of re-opening which will see the opening of the Medieval Wall Walk and a takeaway café option – as requested by many of our visitors this weekend.”

A child painted a picture of Lincoln Castle which they gave to staff over the bank holiday weekend. Photo: Lincoln Castle

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.