August 14, 2020 2.41 pm This story is over 38 months old

Banned driver jailed after ramming police car and spitting in 100mph chase

He injured a police officer in the pursuit

A banned driver who rammed a police car and spat at an officer after a 100mph pursuit out of Boston has been jailed for two years.

Murray Knox refused to pull over after officers spotted him driving a BMW Mini on false plates in Tawney Street, Boston, on Friday, July 10.

Lincoln Crown Court heard the 23-year-old did not stop and tried to get away from officers who were following him by driving out of the town.

Noel Philo, prosecuting, said Knox reversed several hundred yards up Tawney Street and through a red light after trying to ram the police vehicle.

Knox then led officers through villages near Boston including Frithville and Sibsey reaching speeds of up to 100mph.

Several collisions were narrowly avoided, including two cyclists who waved their fists at Knox, and at one point all four wheels of his Mini were seen to leave the ground.

Knox rammed the pursuing police car, which caused an arm injury to one of the officers inside, before he was eventually forced in to a ditch by another police vehicle.

The court heard Knox escaped through a passenger window and snatched a bottle of hand sanitiser from a police sergeant who tried apprehend him.

Mr Philo said Knox then spat at the officer before finally being arrested.

When asked if he had been taking drugs by the officer Knox replied: “I am not telling you.”

Officers found a small amount of herbal cannabis in Knox’s possession, while he was also found to be driving with no insurance and while disqualified.

Knox, of no fixed address, subsequently admitted eight charges.

Two counts of assault by beating of an emergency worker, dangerous driving, criminal damage relating to a police car, driving while disqualified, fraudulent use of a registration mark, possession of a class B drug (cannabis) and use of a motor vehicle on a public road without third party insurance.

The court was told Knox had 24 previous convictions, including two for aggravated vehicle taking.

Richard Reynolds, mitigating, said Knox had pleaded guilty at the first opportunity.

Mr Reynolds added: “His explanation for being in the car was that he had recently been released from prison and had been told by the Probation Service that he could not stay with his mother.”

Jailing Knox for 24 months, Judge John Pini QC told him that he had shown a total disregard for the law.

Judge Pini added: “The officers who pursued and detained you are deserving of the highest praise.”

Knox was also banned from driving for four years.