Scunthorpe
October 8, 2020 3.10 pm

At least 30 COVID-19 cases at gammon factory

Scunthorpe meat plant outbreak

There are at least 30 coronavirus cases linked to an outbreak at a bacon and gammon slicing factory in Scunthorpe.

The first 10 cases were reported at Karro Food Group’s pork processing plant on the Foxhills Industrial Estate and a mobile testing unit was set up at the factory on Tuesday, October 6.

All 450 factory employees will be tested on a voluntary basis.

Those who have already tested positive for COVID-19, or people with extended close contacts were sent home to self-isolate as a precaution.

There were also claims earlier this week that employees were told not to wear masks and that “staff are dropping like flies and being sent home,” according to Grimsby Live.

North Lincolnshire Council said: “Public Health England, the Health and Safety Executive, and the management of Karro are working together to contain an outbreak at the company’s site in Scunthorpe.

“Karro had stringent COVID-19 measures in place, including social distancing, cleaning regimes and even automatically checking the temperature of every employee before entry to the factory.

“Despite this there have been a number of employees test positive for COVID-19.”

A spokesperson for the company said: “Karro Food Limited is working closely with North Lincolnshire’s Public Health Team, Public Health England and the Health and Safety Executive who continue to offer guidance and support.

“Karro has always, and will continue to, follow government advice and guidelines which do everything possible to protect its people, including allowing its employees to choose to wear face coverings if it is deemed safe to do so.”

North Lincolnshire Council and Karro Food Group have both been asked for an updated response on the situation.

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.