Long Sutton

All pupils and staff at Bourne Grammar School have been evacuated on Tuesday after a suspicious phone call was reported to police.

Lincolnshire Police said at around 1.30pm on October 20 that it was in attendance at the school on South Road after pupils were evacuated at around 10.45am.

People are being advised to avoid the area while the incident is being dealt with.

Police said: “Emergency services are in attendance, and as a precautionary measure all pupils and staff at the school have been safely evacuated.

“Members of the public should avoid the area while emergency services attend. We are continuing to liaise with the school.”

Officers have since confirmed that as of 2.30pm other emergency services have left the scene and police remain on site to help with traffic.

An email sent out by the school’s headteacher Jonathan Maddox confirmed that everyone is safe but school will be closing for the rest of the day.

An email has been sent out by the school’s headteacher.

County chiefs are optimistic for Lincolnshire’s economy as more than £158 million of business grants have been handed out since the coronavirus pandemic began.

However, COVID restrictions have seen more than 95,600 people in the county on furlough.

Lincolnshire County Council’s portfolio holder for economy Councillor Colin Davie updated committee members on the latest figures on Tuesday.

Mr Davie reported on a number of initiatives including growth programmes, tourism boosts, business park improvements and other schemes.

He said: “Despite all the challenges we face, all the issues with COVID we’re going to have to deal with over the next six months, I’m really optimistic that we can get through this and the Lincolnshire economy will come out the other side, resilient, strong, and in better shape to face the future.”

Councillor Colin Davie, Executive Councillor for Economy and Place at Lincolnshire County Council. | Photo: Steve Smailes for The Lincolnite

Councillor Davie said Lincolnshire councils handed out more than 13,500 business grants up to August 31.

Broken down by district councils:

  • Boston – 1,227 grants totalling £14,160million
  • East Lindsey – 3,650 grants totalling £42.725million
  • City of Lincoln – 1,678 grants totalling £20.965million
  • North Kesteven – 1,783 grants totalling £20million
  • South Holland – £1,448 grants totalling £16.85million
  • South Kesteven – 2,265 grants totalling £27.495million
  • West Lindsey – 1,461 grants totalling £16.425million

On top of those, it is estimated that the total value of job retention scheme claims (furlough) in Lincolnshire was just over £300 million

The furlough figures make up 29% of the eligible workforce, lower than the national average of 30%.

East Lindsay had the highest take up in the county at 35%, while Boston had one of the lowest take-up rates in the UK at 21%.

Nationally, Councillor Davie said there was a “challenging picture” with UK GDP 9.2% lower than in February generally, but 40% lower in terms of hospitality and accommodation, one of Lincolnshire’s most important industries.

He said 2.7% of the county’s businesses are now at risk of insolvency or bankruptcy

However, the number of people claiming benefits last month had decreased by 0.7%.

Councillors will be asked to approve plans for more than 300 homes in the Metheringham village near Lincoln.

JCO Developments’ proposals for land east of Sleaford Road and west of Dunston Road will go before North Kesteven District Council’s planning committee next Tuesday.

The development includes 329 homes as well as new access points from both roads, new internal streets and new sustainable drainage infrastructure.

A quarter of the new homes will be classed as affordable.

The plans were originally for 386 homes but a report before councillors said the developers responded to concerns about the impact on the highways and the character, design and density of the proposals.

More than 60 residents have written to the council in response to the plans, including 48 letters of objection and seven in support.

Those objecting to the plans said the number of new homes is more than what was proposed in the area’s local plan and will result in the loss of agricultural land.

They say there as been a lack of consultation with residents on the plans.

How the new homes would be laid out.

Lisa Bower said: “This village cannot support the added volume of housing for doctors, schooling, traffic etc.

“The fields support a vast amount of fauna and flora too and it is heartbreaking to think this beautiful area would disappear.

“The junction at Sleaford Road/Lincoln Road is already a nightmare and the Dunston Road proposal is outrageous.”

Concerns also include that the plans will change the character of the village are will “erode the countryside” as well as fears over the strain on local healthcare.

Officers however, said the principle of the development is “acceptable”.

“While the numbers proposed exceed the indicative capacity, the approach taken to the development of the site through the revised proposals is considered to deliver a form of development which responds positively to the national guidance,” said officers, recommending approval.

+ More stories