Scartho

A suspected drug trafficker named as one of the UK’s most wanted has been arrested in Spain.

Joshua Hendry, 30, was arrested in San Pedro de Alcantára, Marbella by the Spanish National Police’s fugitives unit on Thursday evening (January 20), a day after featuring in a new Most Wanted appeal by the National Crime Agency.

He was arrested after an off-duty police officer recognised him from the publicity.

Hendry, formerly of Walton, Liverpool, was wanted by Humberside Police. He is alleged to have trafficked heroin and cocaine from Liverpool to Grimsby for onward distribution.

The National Crime Agency said Hendry has been taken into custody and will appear in court soon as part of extradition proceedings.

Hendry and 11 other fugitives were revealed on Wednesday as the National Crime Agency launched its new most wanted campaign, in conjunction with independent charity Crimestoppers, Spanish law enforcement and UK policing.

Chief Inspector Rhodri Troake of Humberside Police said: “We’d like to thank the National Crime Agency for their assistance in locating and arresting Hendry as a part of an efficient and fast-moving operation.

“Hendry is alleged to have trafficked heroin and crack cocaine from Liverpool to Grimsby for onward distribution within our local communities.

“This type of criminality can cause significant disruption to our local communities and we will continue to do everything we can to continue to bring those responsible to justice.”

Tom Dowdall, NCA deputy director of international, said: “This is a rapid result and it’s testimony to the power these appeals can have as well as the NCA’s international reach.

“Whether it’s using tip-offs from the public, sharing intelligence or deploying specialist capabilities, UK law enforcement and our Spanish partners are working as one to trace and arrest the other 11 fugitives.

“Those men will know now that we’re after them. They can live their lives anxiously looking over their shoulders and wondering if today’s the day they get caught or they can do the right thing and hand themselves in.”

Crew members on a boat that set sail from Grimsby were “fortunate not to be killed” when their vessel disturbed 250kg unexploded World War II bomb, which detonated on the seabed.

The crew set out on Galwad-Y-Mor, which was hauling in crab pots in the North Sea approximately 22 nautical miles north-east of Cromer in Norfolk on December 15, 2020. The line disturbed the air-dropped bomb, which had remained intact on the seabed since the Second World War.

The ensuing explosion caused a shock wave that threw the boat about, resulting in significant injuries to five of the seven crew. Despite the injuries, Galwad-Y-Mor’s crew were able to send a distress message, launch the life raft and board rescue boats that had been dispatched by a nearby offshore support vessel.

Galwad-Y-Mor structural damage. | Photo: Marine Accident Investigation Branch

The vessel’s hull and machinery sustained major damage and the Marine Accident Investigation Branch released a report into the incident on Thursday, January 20, 2022 – read the full report here.

The report states most of the injuries experienced by the crew were of a blunt force trauma nature. These were said to be “consistent with tertiary injuries most likely caused by the acceleration forces the crew experienced when Galwad-Y-Mor was thrown about”.

The metal fragment was magnetic and measured 94mm in length, 129mm in width and had a 7.41mm average thickness. | Photo: 1710 Naval Air Squadron

The head injuries to deckhands one and three, who were not wearing safety helmets, suggests they struck the deckhead at the time of the accident, the report adds.

The skipper was seated when the bomb exploded and struck his head on the wheelhouse deckhead, which caused injuries to his eye socket and face. His back and knee injuries were probably incurred when he landed back down on the deck.

Physical injuries were significant to five of the seven crew and the report says “they were fortunate not to be killed”. The injured crew were transferred to hospital by helicopter and lifeboat. They were treated for head, back and knee injuries.

The report states the crew “could not have anticipated the fouling of a bomb in the potting string and the resulting explosion” and that “their training, experience and emergency preparedness improved their chances of survival”.

Galwad-Y-Mor machinery damage. | Photo: Marine Accident Investigation Branch

Galwad-Y-Mor interior damage. | Photo: Marine Accident Investigation Branch

There was extensive deformation to the hull plating of the vessel, and the engine room was flooded. There was also severe shock damage in all internal compartments.

In terms of vessel damage, the report says that “the potting string quickly tightening at the hauler suggested that the bomb was directly below the vessel on the seabed prior to the explosion”. The boat’s machinery mountings and internal fit out were damaged because they were “not designed to withstand the forces created by the action of the vessel being thrown about”.

Galwad-Y-Mor settled low in the water. | Photo: Andrew Oliver

The report adds: Galwad-Y-Mor was “close to the explosion and well below the MOD’s recommended 530m safe stand-off distance for non-military vessels to be unaffected by a seabed explosion of this size.

“Nevertheless, Galwad-Y-Mor’s thick shell plating presented good resistance to the shock wave generated by the explosion, and the heavy section box keel was able to resist bending forces set up by the pulse bubble underneath the vessel.”

Based on the accident’s circumstances, the Marine Accident Investigation Branch said no action has been taken by external stakeholders and no recommendations made. Galwad-Y-Mor was successfully salvaged and has since been rebuilt.

A police officer based in Grimsby said he was ‘going to rape’ a junior PC at Humberside Police, in one of two sex attacks on female colleagues, a misconduct hearing has heard.

Christopher Lings, who was responsible for mentoring junior officers, was alleged to have pushed each woman onto a bed on separate occasions, telling one he was going to rape her.

The allegations were reported to Humberside Police on March 31, 2020 and PC Lings was immediately suspended. An internal investigation led by the force’s Professional Standards department was carried out and Lings’ actions were found to have amounted to a breach of the Standards of Professional Behaviour contrary to Police Conduct Regulations, in respect of Discreditable Conduct and Equality and Diversity.

A misconduct panel heard the 35-year-old, who served for 16 years until his resignation in March 2021, behaved in a “sexualised way” to two female junior officers he was supposed to be mentoring, according to the BBC. Lings did not attend this week’s misconduct hearing in Goole.

The hearing was told how Lings became drunk at a party on March 16, 2020 when he allegedly touched and kissed one of the women after pushing her onto a bed and lying on top of her. Olivia Checa-Dover, the force’s legal representative, said he also tried to move his hand up her leg towards her crotch.

The panel chairman Callum Cox said the woman’s housemate heard Lings whisper to the woman that he was “going to rape her” that night. He reportedly repeatedly asked her whether she was a virgin, leaving her visibly shaking and upset. He is also said to have sent her a message containing explicit sexual language in the previous month, the hearing heard.

The incident came three months after Lings allegedly pushed another woman onto a hotel bed in Lincoln and lay on top of her after a Christmas party on December 19, 2019. He was previously given a final written warning in May 2015 after he was said to have behaved “inappropriately” towards three females while he was drunk.

The panel said he would have been sacked had he not resigned, but it is not known whether the alleged assault was the reason for him leaving the force.

His behaviour against both junior officers amounted to serious gross misconduct and a breach of professional standards. Lings was barred from serving for five years.

Humberside Police said it pursued criminal charges against Lings, but the Crown Prosecution Service did not prosecute him, according to the BBC.

Detective Superintendent Matt Baldwin, Head of Professional Standards at Humberside Police, said: “Sexual harassment or abusive behaviour towards anyone has no place within policing, or the personal lives of our officers, and a single report of this nature against one of our officers is one too many.

“The overwhelming majority of our officers carry out their job with integrity and respect, and this follows them through into their personal lives. I’m also confident that our officers and staff would stand against anyone within the organisation who is believed to be abusing another person, in any form, and actively report this to us.

“I would echo the recent comments of our Chief Constable that tackling violence against women and girls is the number one force priority.

“We will not hesitate to take action against anyone within the organisation who threatens our commitment to tackling this grave issue, or is actively contributing to it, inside or outside of work.

“It’s vitally important to us that those serving our communities uphold the high standards of behaviour we expect from them at all times, and we would like to reassure people that anyone falling short of that standard can expected to be robustly dealt with.”

+ More stories