Environment

Over 1,500 people have signed a petition to say no to plans to store nuclear waste underground on the Lincolnshire coast.

Plans emerged to dispose of nuclear waste at a site near Mablethorpe this week, as Radioactive Waste Management (RWM) said it was in “early discussions” with Lincolnshire County Council about using the former ConocoPhillips Gas Terminal in Theddlethorpe as a Geological Disposal Facility, but that no decisions had been made.

Lincolnshire County Council Leader Martin Hill claimed it was only 10 days ago they had a presentation from the firm, and that it was the first time they’d had a meeting with them. He also said a “binding” local referendum would be held and “if it’s a no, that’s the end of it”, according to the BBC.

Louth MP Victoria Atkins told BBC Radio Lincolnshire on Thursday, July 29 that the plans in fact started in 2019 and were more developed than “just one or two week’s work”. Opposition councillors hit out at Tory “secrecy” at the county council after the plans were revealed.

Jaki Lucas recently launched a petition via change.org called ‘No nuclear waste on the Lincolnshire coast’. By the time of publication, the petition has 1,500 signatures.

Jaki said: “Nuclear waste is being buried on the east coast at Theddlethorpe, in plans being drawn up in conjunction with Lincolnshire County Council.

“The public have not been consulted and we only found out because of a whistle blower. Please sign the petition.

“Our Tory county councillors were informed but not the residents. It appears this has been on going and hidden from the public before our local elections, could knowing this have changed the result? Say no to nuclear waste on our beautiful coastline.”

Steve Reece, head of siting at RWM, previously said: “We would like to engage with the local community to hear their thoughts and views.

“The process to find a suitable GDF site ultimately requires a community to give clear consent [and] this project is totally unique in that the local community will have the final say.”

The developers added that the multi-billion pound project could create thousands of jobs.

A fracking operation has been completed at the Wressle Oil Field Development near Scunthorpe in North Lincolnshire.

Last year the government approved a plan for Egdon Resources plc to continue to drill for oil in North Lincolnshire. The Hampshire-based oil and gas firm retained the well site at Lodge Farm near Wressle for production for 15 years after it won its appeal against North Lincolnshire Council.

This comes after the local council and campaigns previously raised concerns over water contamination. A public inquiry was held after North Lincolnshire Council rejected the initial plan by Egdon Resources to continue drilling for oil back in 2018.

The first oil was produced by a new well at the Wressle Oil Field Development in February this year. On July 29, Egdon Resources said the proppant squeeze operation on the Ashover Grit reservoir interval was completed safely and successfully.

A proppant squeeze is regarded as a form of low-volume fracking by the Environment Agency because the injection pressure is high enough to fracture rocks.

A total of 146 cubic metres of gelled fluid with 17.3 tonnes of ceramic proppant were injected into the Ashover Grit formation. The injection operations lasted for a total of only 1 hour and 30 minutes over a two-day period.

The firm said there were no health, safety, environment or security issues experienced during the operations.

All equipment and personnel have now been demobilised from site. The Wressle well will now be subject to a coiled tubing operation to fully clean out the production tubing before bringing the well back into production through the site’s permanent production facilities.

Mark Abbott, managing director of Egdon, said: “I am pleased to report on the safe and successful completion of the proppant squeeze operations at Wressle.  I would like to thank our team of contractors and staff for the highly professional way in which the operations were undertaken with no adverse impact on the environment or the amenity of our neighbours.

“I now look forward to the well being placed back on production and reporting on the positive impact of the operation on future oil production from the site in the coming weeks.”

The village is sitting on reserves of about two million barrels of oil. The Ashover Grit reservoir is expected to produce at a contained rate of 500 barrels of oil per day.

Lincolnshire County Council has apologised after residents hoping to get rid of some of their rubbish were turned away from Lincoln tip on Monday morning.

A spokesman for the authority said a move to increase the number of slots available at the Great Northern Terrace facility had “caused some issues with getting the bins emptied” after more waste than anticipated was brought along.

However, the blockage only lasted a couple of hours.

Simon Bell from waste services at Lincolnshire County Council, said: “This has now been resolved and everything is now working as normal.

“We’ve been in touch with those people who had bookings this morning via email, and have invited them to return this afternoon before 3.45pm to bring any waste they couldn’t drop off earlier today.

“We’re really sorry for any inconvenience caused.”

The tip booking system is due to end on September 1, and will allow most residents to turn up anytime during opening hours again.

+ More stories