April 17, 2018 12.09 pm This story is over 67 months old

Man catches burglar mid break-in and pins him to the ground until police arrive

He said he couldn’t recall his movements because he had taken so-called legal highs.

A burglar was detained by a householder after being caught in the act of breaking in, Lincoln Crown Court was told.

John Parker attempted to force his way into the utility room of the property on Nelson Street, Gainsborough, in the early hours of the morning but the noise he made woke the occupants.

Lucky Thandi, prosecuting, said the householder went to investigate and found Parker tampering with the lock.

Parker was confronted by the man who ordered him to get on the floor and then detained him until police arrived.

Parker claimed he was innocent. He told officers he was looking for scrap and had no intention to steal anything.

Miss Thandi told the court: “When he was interviewed he said he could not be sure of his movements that night because he had taken legal highs.”

Police later discovered a lock-up garage nearby in Carters Lane had been broken into in the same evening although nothing was taken. CCTV footage of the site led to Parker being identified as the burglar.

Parker, 32, of Lord Street, Gainsborough, admitted charges of attempted burglary of the house in Nelson Street and burglary of a garage as a result of the incidents on February 7 this year. He also admitted being in breach of a suspended jail sentence imposed in November 2017 for five offences of theft.

He was jailed for a total of 20 months.

Judge Simon Hirst told him: “These offences are so serious that only an immediate custodial sentence can be passed upon you.”

Mark Watson, in mitigation, said that Parker believed he was breaking into an out-building when he was at the property in Nelson Street and was not looking to enter the living area.

Mr Watson said: “His background is one of drug addiction and mental health difficulties. He suffers from schizophrenia.

“Shortly before this he was thrown out of his friend’s house where he was sofa surfing and he was made homeless.”