The City of Lincoln Council have submitted plans to demolish a Lincoln sheltered accommodation to make way for a 70 apartment extra care facility.
The plan would see the authority-owned De Wint Court on Bowden Drive, flattened in order to build the new development.
Extra care housing provides accommodation for older people who want to remain “self-sufficient” but also have the option of on-site care if they need it.
Now, the local authority wants to build the facility which they say would be a “flagship” scheme.
The council’s planning committee will discuss the proposal on December 5.
Council officers have recommended that councillors approve the plan.
The site hosts 37 bedsits but the authority wants to demolish the accommodation in order to build new apartments aimed at the over 55s.
50 one-bedroom and 20 two-bedroom apartments would be built, as well as 35 car parking spaces.
In their plans, the council said the proposal is intended to “bridge the gap” between sheltered housing and residential care.
“The council has experienced unprecedented growth in the numbers of older people in the city and Lincolnshire as a whole,” it said.
“As a result there is a real need to expand the number of suitable accommodation and access to the care and support required for an ageing population.
“This project and others like it, will enable people to be as socially included and as independent as possible and will provide a focal point for their relatives, friends and carers offering both advice and practical support.”
It comes as the authority looked to “modernise” De Wint Court and two other sites back in 2013.
The council previously proposed a £678,000 revamp of the accommodation which saw improvements to electrics, heating, water hygiene and extended kitchen space.
SUBSCRIBE TO LOCAL DEMOCRACY WEEKLY, our exclusive email newsletter with highlights from our coverage every week and insights and analysis from our local democracy reporters.