There will be significantly fewer train services to and from Lincoln for the Christmas Market (December 6-9) due to industrial action on Northern Trains.
Northern has confirmed that none of its services will be running to and from Lincoln on Saturday, December 8, so customers should seek alternative means of transport.
Services are expected to be extremely busy due to the industrial action taking place affecting Northern services. Therefore, tickets valid for Northern services and routes will not be valid on East Midlands Trains services on Saturday, December 8.
This will be achieved by using some of its bigger longer distance trains, as well as providing additional services on Saturday and Sunday, December 8-9.
Northern is urging RMT to suspend the December strike action. By the end of this month there will have been 19 consecutive Saturdays of RMT strike action.
Friday, December 7
Additional carriages are being provided on some services between Nottingham and Lincoln.
Saturday, December 8
This is expected to be the busiest day so East Midlands Trains have put out an amended timetable, with some trains calling additionally at Carlton, Lowdham, Fiskerton, Swinderby and Hykeham.
The following additional trains will also be running:
- 0836 Derby to Lincoln calling at Long Eaton (0845), Beeston (0853), Nottingham (0900), Carlton (0907), Burton Joyce (0911), Lowdham (0916), Newark Castle (0930), Hykeham (0944) arriving Lincoln 1002 and will be one of the bigger long distance trains.
- 0920 Sheffield to Lincoln calling at Chesterfield (0940), Alfreton (0952), Langley Mill (1001), Nottingham (1023) arriving Lincoln 1117 and will be one of the bigger long distance HST trains because of this it is unable to stop additional at Ilkeston.
- 1102 Nottingham to Lincoln calling at Carlton (1109), Lowdham (1116), Newark Castle (1130), Collingham (1141), Hykeham (1152) arriving Lincoln 1204.
- 1229 Nottingham to Lincoln express arriving 1321.
- 1349 Nottingham to Lincoln calling at Carlton (1356), Lowdham (1403), Fiskerton (1410), Newark Castle (1420), Collingham (1430), Hykeham (1439) arriving Lincoln 1451 and will be one of the bigger long distance Trains.
- 1404 Newark Northgate to Lincoln express arriving at 1430
- 1515 Newark Northgate to Lincoln express arriving 1541
- 1250 Lincoln to Nottingham calling at Newark Castle at (1313), Lowdham (1326) arriving Nottingham 1341 and will be one of the bigger Iong distance trains.
- 1333 Lincoln to Newark Northgate express arriving 1359
- 1438 Lincoln to Newark Northgate express arriving 1508
- 1503 Lincoln to Nottingham calling at Hykeham (1510), Collingham (1520), Newark Castle (1530), Lowdham (1543), Carlton (1550) arriving Nottingham 1600 and will be one of the bigger long distance trains.
- 1623 Lincoln to Sheffield calling at Nottingham (1719), Langley Mill (1739), Alfreton (1746), Chesterfield (1806 ) arriving Sheffield 1830 and will be one of the long distance HST trains which is unable to stop at Ilkeston.
- 1708 Lincoln to Derby calling at Hykeham (1715), Collingham (1725), Newark Castle (1735), Fiskerton (1742), Lowdham (1750), Burton Joyce (1755), Carlton (1755), Carlton (1759), Nottingham (1810), Beeston (1825), Long Eaton (1834) arriving Derby 1847 and will be one of the bigger long distance trains
When travelling on the long distance trains East Midlands Trains said passengers will be able to sit in the first class area of the train with a standard ticket as it has been declassified for the purpose of providing additional capacity.
Sunday, December 9
Some East Midlands Trains will call at additional stations between Lincoln, Newark and Nottingham.
The following additional trains will also be running:
- 0911 Peterborough to Lincoln calling at Spalding (0931), Sleaford (1100), Ruskington (1009), Metheringham (1015) arriving Lincoln 1032.
- 0947 Newark Northgate to Lincoln calling at Collingham (0956), Swinderby (1001), Hykeham (1007) arriving Lincoln 1018.
- 1011 Peterborough to Lincoln calling at Spalding (0931), Sleaford 1000, Ruskington (1009), Metheringham (1219) arriving Lincoln 1233.
- 1201 Sleaford to Lincoln calling at Ruskington (1209), Metheringham (1219) arriving Lincoln 1233.
- 1445 Lincoln to Peterborough calling at Metheringham (1458), Ruskington (1507), Sleaford (1517), Spalding (1542) arriving Peterborough 1606.
- 1600 Lincoln to Peterborough calling at Metheringham (1613), Ruskington (1622), Sleaford (1632), Spalding (1657) arriving Peterborough 1606.
- 1830 Lincoln to Sleaford calling at Metheringham (1843), Ruskington (1852), arriving Sleaford 1902.
East Midlands trains said that from 10pm on Sunday, December 2 until 12pm on Monday, December 10 the car parks will be closed for safety and security reasons with no access permitted.
Pick up and drop off will be on St Mary’s Street at the front of the station. No waiting will be permitted.
Alternative parking is available at NCP car park, Brayford Street or Lincoln Central car park.
The RMT strike action is planned for December 8,15,22 and 29 will see Northern running approximately 700 services during each Saturday, but with very few services after 5pm.
The RMT said it is prepared to suspend the industrial action planned for December 1 if clarity is received from the company regarding ‘a new proposal that will see the retention of a second person on-board trains’.