January 23, 2019 10.18 am This story is over 32 months old

Fire breaks out at Lincoln nursing home

Neighbours saw fire crews rush to the nursing home overnight

Residents escaped unharmed after a fire broke out at a Lincoln village nursing home overnight.

Emergency services were called to St Luke’s Nursing Home in Scothern at 8:23pm on Tuesday, January 22 to reports of a fire.

When fire and rescue crews arrived, they used breathing apparatus and a hose reel to put out the blaze, which started on the first floor.

Two residents were checked over for possible smoke inhalation.

It’s believed the blaze was started accidentally, with fire officers putting the cause down to a soldering iron.

There was severe damage to the corridor, ceiling, one of the joining rooms and its contents.

A spokesperson for Lincolnshire fire and rescue told The Lincolnite: “There were two casualties taken out of the nursing home and they had precautionary checks for smoke inhalation.

“It was believed to have been caused by a soldering iron and it was accidental. We sent crews from Lincoln North, South and Wragby.

“They used a ceiling hook and saws to check for damage in the ceiling and ventilated the corridor.”

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.