June 3, 2019 5.17 pm This story is over 29 months old

Arrested man made daring escape from police station

He said he “didn’t fancy spending the weekend in jail”

An arrested man who staged a spectacular escape from police custody was caught after just 45 minutes of freedom.

Jason Fovargue was detained by officer on the Sunday of the May Bank Holiday weekend and was taken by van to Boston Police Station.

Hal Ewing, prosecuting, said that Fovargue was not handcuffed and after arriving in the police station’s secure yard he made a run for it.

Mr Ewing said: “One of the officers checked to see if anything had been left in the police van.

“The defendant took the opportunity to run off. He jumped onto the police van and from there jumped over the gate and ran off into Boston town centre.

“He was in Boston for just over three-quarters of an hour before the police recaptured him.

“When he was arrested and then in interview he acknowledged that he panicked and had done something foolishly stupid.

“He said he didn’t fancy spending the rest of the weekend in the police station.”

Mr Ewing said that the police van was left with dents on the bonnet and roof where Fovargue jumped onto it.

Fovargue, 34, of Hereward Road, Spalding, admitted charges of escaping from custody and damaging a police vehicle as a result of the incident on Sunday 5 May this year.

Neil Sands, in mitigation, said that Fovargue was not charged with any offence arising out of the matter for which he was initially arrested.

Mr Sands said “This was an opportunistic incident. He panicked.

“He was at liberty for some 45 minutes and was recaptured without violence and without any problems whatsoever.”

Mr Sands said that Fovargue had been a drug user but has turned his life around with the assistance of a friend.

“He made the decision that he was going to get clean of drugs. He has now been clean of all drugs, both illicit and prescription, since Christmas. He did that without the assistance of Addaction but by working with a friend.

“Not only is he clean for the first time since he became involved in drugs but he is now in full-time work.”

Fovargue was given a four month jail sentence suspended for 12 months with 140 hours of unpaid work and a three-month night time curfew.

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.