Lincoln will be transformed with quirky costumes, top hats and flying goggles from Friday over the biggest and longest running Steampunk festival returns to the city.
The 11th edition of the Victorian Steampunk Society’s annual festival will take place from Friday, August 23 until Monday, August 26.
The event celebrates the steam powered world in the late 19th century and attracts visitors from across the globe.
The Bazaar Eclectica and Steampunk Embassy (Cathedral Centre) are free and open to the public.
Wristbands give access to daily activities at Steampunk Campus (Bishop Grosseteste University), Lincoln Castle, Westgate Academy and Bailgate Methodist Church Hall – click here to view the full timetable and price information for specific events.
Here is a selection of highlights to look out for at the four-day event:
- Steampunk Market at Castle Hill (free entry) – The Bazaar Eclectica will bring a Steampunk market of weird and wonderful items, running Saturday-Monday from 10am-5pm (4pm on Monday)
- Asylum Costume Competition and Parade at Lincoln Castle (wristband/free to spectate) – a Steampunk military parade on Monday at 12pm – click here for more information
- The Asylum’s Most Splendid Promenade in the Bailgate (wristband/free to spectate) – groups, banners, costumes and contraptions in an official city carnival promenade from Bailgate Methodist Church on Monday at 11am
- Steampunk Campus at Bishop Grosseteste University (wristband) – the focal point of the festival, including markets, exhibitions, entertainment, food and drink, lectures and event control – click here for more information
- The Illicit Market (wristband + entry/exit fees) – a secret market and role-playing game – click here for more information
- Jet Pack Race at Lincoln Castle (wristband) – Steampunk jet packs do not help pilots fly, so it is a 60m race on foot on Saturday at 1.30pm. Any pieces of jetpack that fall off must be collected to finish the course – click here for more information
- Tea Duelling (wristband) – The Asylum Championship will run on Saturday with the World Championship on Sunday. With a biscuit as a weapon contestants must dunk into hot tea and perform a ‘clean Nom’ to be the victor – click here for more information
- The Great Exhibition at Bishop Grosseteste University (wristband) – Steampunks will exhibit their own artwork and awards will be given – click here for more information
- The Wacky Racers and Pararacers at Lincoln Castle (wristband) – Wacky racers must drive their home-made (wo)man powered vehicle, wearing helmets and goggles in a 120m race to the finish on Saturday at 2pm – click here for more information
There is a shuttle bus from the campus into Lincoln which runs free for wristband holders – click here for more information.