Tributes to man killed in Lincoln construction incident

Family, friends and colleagues have paid tribute after a 23-year-old Nottinghamshire man died in a construction incident in Lincoln last week.

As previously reported, the man who was working for subcontractors Chesterfield-based Melfort Construction on the Lindum Rudgard Lane student accommodation site off West Parade, is understood to have become trapped under an overturned tipper.

Police, fire and ambulance crews began a rescue operation at the building site just before 11am on Thursday, January 9, but the man later died.

The man has since been named locally as Harry Cheston from Rainworth after a fundraising page was set up to help his family. The page has raised £2,339 by the time of writing.

His mother, Leisa Jayne Cheston, also posted a tribute to him on Facebook which read: “We will love you forever our darling son, you will always be our baby boy, our whole world, sleep tight my gentle giant”.

Fundraiser for a ‘diamond’ guy

The fundraising page was set up by Luke Gowdy, who wrote” “Harry Cheston, 23 years old, sadly died at work being trapped under a machine. No man deserves to go to work and not come home.

“He is due to have a baby very soon too. Anything to help his little family. Rest in peace fella.”

Harry’s partner Lauren Wadsley left a comment on the page saying: “Me and Willow both love you with all our hearts. Our little family will always be complete. My hero, you shine bright my diamond and Willow will always be told about her wonderful daddy.”

Jack Matkin was among those to donate to the fundraising page. He said : “Chopper, the nicest guy I will have ever known, known you all my life, see you again bud.”

Rob H added: “Love you H, you were a brilliant lad, we always had a laugh on site. Very sad what has happened, my heart goes to your family and partner plus bump. RIP.”

Police are working with the Health and Safety Executive to establish the circumstances of the fatal incident.

Lindum Group company secretary Herman Kok previously said: “We are extremely sad that an employee of one of our sub-contractors has lost his life following an incident on one of our construction sites. Our thoughts go out to his family, friends and colleagues at this awful time.

“We will be working closely with the Health and Safety Executive and emergency teams as they carry out their investigations into the tragic event and we will be supporting Lindum employees and other site personnel who have been affected.”

Spotted an error? Please notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.