Lincoln City Football Club have placed the majority of non-playing staff on furlough leave due to the ongoing impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
The EFL released a statement earlier this month stating that the professional game in England will be further postponed until no earlier than April 30, and no decision has yet been made on what will happen next. Chairman Clive Nates said the club “faces a threat to our very existence” the longer the coronavirus-forced football suspension continues.
The Imps have since taken action to place most of the non-playing staff on furlough leave under the terms of the government’s coronavirus job retention scheme to help safeguard the future of the club and protect the jobs of its team members.
The club added that a small number of staff will remain in place to continue with its day-to-day operations.
The scheme will provide funding for 80% of salaries up to the cap of £2,500 per month. Click here for more information about scheme, which is designed to support employers whose operations have been several affected by COVID-19.
In a statement the club said: “With the health and wellbeing of staff being or paramount importance, the remaining team members continue to work from home where possible until it is deemed safe to do otherwise.
“We will continue to keep supports informed with any ongoing information via the club website and social media channels on both Twitter and Facebook. However, should any supporters have any ticketing or general enquiries they can contact the club via email at [email protected].”
The EFL and the PFA (Professional Footballers Association) are currently in talks. Lincoln City are awaiting further advice from the EFL before any action is taken with regards to the playing staff.
Lincoln City previously closed their Soper of Lincoln Elite Performance Centre near RAF Scampton after members of staff came into contact with an individual, who displayed symptoms of coronavirus.