Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said he will be heading to the pub next week as the next set of lockdown restrictions are eased.
Mr Johnson said the country had met the four tests it had set down, including a successful vaccination rollout, a reduction in hospitalisations and deaths, infection rates not pressuring the NHS and new variants not having a significant impact.
The move will see non-essential retail and restaurants allowed to open from Monday, April 12, along with close-contact services such as hairdressers and barbers.
Speaking from the government’s newly-installed media room, he told people: “I will be getting to the pub myself and cautiously, but irreversibly, raising a pint of beer to my lips.”
“We think that these changes are fully justified by the data and we are meeting our four tests,” he added.
However, he reiterated previous warnings that the UK could not be complacent.
“We can see the waves of sickness afflicting other countries and we’ve seen how this story goes.
“We still don’t know how strong the vaccine shield will be when cases begin to rise as I’m afraid that they will and that’s why we’re saying, please get your vaccine or your second dose, when your turn comes, and please use the free NHS tests.”
During the Press Conference, Mr Johnson reminded people that the government was now urging people to get tested twice a week with free home tests available in pharmacies or by delivery.
He also revealed that controversial “COVID passports” would not be introduced in this phase, or the next one in May.
However, he said that large-scale events would need measures in place such as testing when they were allowed to go ahead.
England’s Chief Medical Officer Professor Chris Whitty said 36.1 million people had now received their first dose.
There had been a “significant reduction” in hospital admissions of patients after receiving the initial jab, he added.
Average death numbers are currently running at 47-a-day, down massively from a peak of 1,300.
Meanwhile, in terms of other variants, he said the UK mutation remained dominant and, despite an increase in the South African variant at the UK border, it did not fundamentally change the position of the country.
The Lincolnite welcomes your views. All comments are reactively-moderated and must obey the house rules. Please stay on topic and be respectful of other readers.
We are appealing for witnesses and dashcam footage after a collision caused serious injuries to a 23-year-old man.
Just before 3.30pm yesterday (2 July), we received reports of a collision on Barholm Road in Tallington. It involved a grey BMW 335D estate, a blue BMW 116D and an orange KTM motorcycle.
The motorcycle rider, a 23-year-old man, sustained serious injuries during the collision and was taken to hospital.
If you witnessed the incident and are yet to get in touch with us, please do so. If you have any other information or dashcam footage available that may have captured the road along the A1175 at the time of the collision, get in touch.
By calling 101 quoting incident 282 of 2 July.
By emailing [email protected] quoting incident 282 of 2 July in the subject line.
If you wish to remain anonymous, you can report via the independent charity CrimeStoppers on 0800 555 111 or online.
The 2022 Destination Lincolnshire Tourism Excellence Awards are open for applications, and Destination Lincolnshire giving you the rare chance to co-create your application with Nell Barrington, a tourism awards veteran, who has helped hundreds of businesses write winning applications over the last 15 years – including national VisitEngland winners.
The Tourism Awards Masterclass is taking place on Tuesday 12 July at 11am for one-hour online. Laura Freer, Head of Marketing at Destination Lincolnshire said: “This is a golden opportunity, after years of hard work and heartache, to get your business and team recognised and rewarded.
“A well written application is key to achieving a coveted place on this year’s shortlist, and I’d encourage all tourism and visitor economy businesses who are thinking of entering – whether they are seasoned at writing award applications or not – to join us for this exclusive masterclass.
“Nell Barrington has worked with us and VisitEngland on the founding application processes of these awards, and she is perfectly placed to assist in co-creating applications that you can be proud of. This is a great opportunity for business development too – whether you are shortlisted for an award or not – discovering how to effectively apply for awards and talk up your business adds another string to your bow.
“Booking is essential and places are limited to just 35 – so be quick! This year we’ve made our masterclass available to partners and also to those who we are yet to work with for free. Call it an added bonus, after two years away from the awards circuit.
The awards masterclass is focussed on the application process, and it will spell out what the judges are looking for. You’ll learn how to make your application stand out from the local competition, helping your chances of going through to the national VisitEngland Awards in 2023.”
There are fifteen categories open for nominations from visitors attraction, accommodation providers, hospitality businesses and many more.
The deadline for nominations is July 29, with online judging starting on July 30 and mystery shopping from August 13. Finalists will be announced on Monday, August 15.
The awards ceremony will be held at the Engine Shed on October 21, and will be hosted by Lincs FM presenter, John Marshall.
The event is organised by Stonebow Media, publishers of The Lincolnite, to celebrate the best businesses in Greater Lincolnshire, alongside headline sponsors Lincoln College and Destination Lincolnshire.
We would also like to thank our other sponsors Visit Lincolnshire, Heart of Lincs, Duncan and Toplis and LNER, insight6 and EV Camel.