February 25, 2022 11.24 am

Bracebridge Heath 1,000 homes plan approved after developer’s changes

The development has been scaled back

A developer’s plans for more than 1,000 homes in Bracebridge Heath have been approved.

North Kesteven District Councillors granted approval for the Church Commissioners for England’s application for 1,087 homes off Sleaford Road on Thursday.

The proposals, which form part of the Lincoln South Eastern Quadrant, also included 2.6 hectares of employment land and a mobility hub.

The plans had been revised since being deferred at a previous meeting following concerns over the location of a planned care home and a single point of access off Sleaford Road.

The care home is now situated further north east in the site.

The number of homes on the site had also reduced from 1,123 to 1,087, while the developers had provided a number of extra studies to support their plans.

Officers told councillors the plans, on a site allocated for housing, would make a significant contribution towards maintaining a supply of land and a “significant investment” in a sustainable transport package while delivering a wide range of infrastructure to meet local needs.

Matthew Naylor, from the strategic planning team at the Church Commissioners, said: “The commissioners are committed to delivering a high quality development that integrates well with both the existing community of Bracebridge Heath and future phases of the Sustainable Urban Extension.

“We will ensure the development is delivered in accordance with the design code and in line with the southeast quadrant broad concept.”

The original plans received nearly 40 objections with concerns including a lack of sustainable transport, insufficient infrastructure and road networks, over-development of the area and a lack of green space.

The new plans for the site.

Councillor Carol Broad, from Bracebridge Heath Parish Council, told the committee the deferral had “been a missed opportunity”.

She said the access point was “inadequate” and raised concerns over congestion caused by the position of the access roundabout.

She added the applicant had “failed to address” concerns over the impact, including an “excessive and unacceptably high” density.

Councillors in the meeting, however, felt their concerns had been addressed on the whole and voted in favour of approving the application.

Councillor Ian Carrington, one of those who originally voted to defer the plans, said: “The questions that I put have been answered.

“We can always find fault with some developments, but as a place to live, which is one of the tests we might actually apply, I think we will be making a good place to live.”

As part of the approval the developer has been asked to provide 20% of the homes classified as “affordable, along with £3,742 per house towards highways measures and transport measures, £864 per home on recreation facilities, £308 per home on a new community centre, £632.50 per home towards healthcare and £2,486.50 per home on education.