Boston

Work on a brand new facility for St Barnabas Hospice was halted by a break-in at the construction site on Monday, with two contractor vehicles stolen overnight.

At around 8pm on Monday evening, two Gelder Group vehicles, a dumper truck and roller, were stolen from the construction site which will soon be the new Wellbeing Hub in Boston for end of life charity St Barnabas Hospice.

The hub comes as St Barnabas cared for 1,232 Boston patients in 2020, and the facility will enable more people to be cared for in the coming years, as well as providing a new home for hospice care in South Lincolnshire.

The break-in happened at a construction site for a new wellbeing hub for end of life charity St Barnabas Hospice.

The site has since been secured, and further measures will be installed to keep the building safe from any potential future incidents.

These measures will come at a “significant cost”, says the charity, and it will add to the overall budget of the project.

The project is being funded after a legacy donation from philanthropist Stefan Novak, who left £393,000 for St Barnabas Hospice after his sudden death in 2018.

The project was due to be finished in November, but this may delay handover.

Chris Wheway, Chief Executive Officer at St Barnabas Hospice said: “Having spoken to workers on site, this will delay vital groundworks to keep the project on track for opening in November, so we are extremely disappointed.

“We are grateful to Lincolnshire Police for locating the plant equipment so swiftly and are looking forward to being able to resume work at the site once it is feasible to do so.”

A stalker who caused such fear to his victim that she tried to take her own life has been jailed, Lincoln Crown Court heard on Friday.

John Ogle, who was a Facebook friend with his victim, used fake social media accounts to send messages to the woman with threats to harm her if she did not send him naked photographs.

He made further threats, went on to slash a tyre on her car and fitted a tracking device to her vehicle.

Ogle also messaged her claiming he had kidnapped her boyfriend.

Lucky Thandi, prosecuting, said the victim’s contact with Ogle increased at the start of the first COVID lockdown in the spring of 2020.

Ogle visited her home at one stage and stayed for three days but the relationship between them was purely as friends. However when Ogle discovered she had begun a relationship with another man his behaviour changed.

Miss Thandi said: “She asked the defendant for space which he did not seem to understand and she blocked him on Instagram and Facebook.”

Within a fortnight the woman began receiving threatening messages requesting naked photographs.

One message sent by Ogle from a fake account, said “Watch your boyfriend’s vehicle burn tonight”.

Then, after her car tyre was slashed, she received a further message saying: “I can make it much worse. I know where you work. I know your friends. You’ll never be safe. When I’ve finished with your boyfriend, I’m coming for you.”

The victim then found a tracking device had been fitted to her car. Ogle sent her a photograph of a man taped and tied up in the boot of a car claiming he had kidnapped her boyfriend.

The following day he sent a further photograph which also showed the registration number of Ogle’s car which led police to trace and arrest him.

Until that time the victim believed an ex-boyfriend was responsible.

Miss Thandi said the victim was so badly affected that at one point she took an overdose.

“The threats and harassment massively affected her life. She didn’t feel safe at her home, at work, or outside.

“This was clearly persistent, planned and designed to cause maximum distress.”

Ogle, 30, who gave a ‘care of’ address in Witham Town, Boston, admitted a charge of stalking causing serious alarm or distress between July 30, 2020 and August 19, 2020.

He was jailed for 28 months and given a lifetime restraining order banning him from contacting his victim and from going to any address where he knows her to be living or staying.

Judge Catarina Sjolin Knight told him: “You are manipulative and self centred.

“You were directly and repeatedly threatening her and caused her to try to kill herself.”

Neil Sands, in mitigation, said Ogle has been on bail since he was arrested 13 months ago and in the interim has not contacted his victim. He urged that any prison sentence should be suspended.

Lincolnshire-born actor and comedian Robert Webb is gearing up for his first Strictly Come Dancing routine this weekend, as he reveals a health scare prompted him to sign up for the show.

The 48-year-old celebrity is best known for his starring role alongside David Mitchell in hit Channel 4 sitcom Peep Show, where he played Jeremy Usborne between 2003 and 2015.

He was born in Boston, Lincolnshire, and is no stranger to the dance floor after he won Let’s Dance for Comic Relief in 2009, and even bust a few moves during his Peep Show days!

Upon being confirmed for the show, Webb said he was “ludicrously excited” to be on Strictly Come Dancing, but his decision to accept the offer came from a moment of genuine fear and turmoil in his life.

Webb has revealed that in 2019 he was told by doctors he had just months to live, after a routine health check flagged up a serious heart condition.

He had been suffering from a mitral valve prolapse, also known as click-murmur syndrome, and he eventually was given life-saving surgery.

The first celebrities have been confirmed for this year’s Strictly Come Dancing.

Webb has spoken about how he has always been “very fond” of the show and feels his surgery has left him with no excuse to pass up on these opportunities.

Two years on and he will be getting into his ballroom gear on national television, competing against the likes of Olympic champion swimmer Adam Peaty, BBC Breakfast host Dan Walker and Dragons Den star Sara Davies.

Robert Webb with The Lincolnite’s Emily Norton. | Photo: Steve Smailes for The Lincolnite

Ever the comedian, Webb has suggested in a tongue-in-cheek manner that he will be ‘milking’ the heart surgery for all its worth on the show in an attempt to earn the sympathy vote.

Webb has also said that should he make it through to Halloween week, he will show off his surgery scar and cover it in glitter, as it will be two years to the day since the operation.

He spoke to The Lincolnite in 2019 about his roots in the county, masculinity and the lessons he learned from his career. You can listen back to the podcast here.

Strictly Come Dancing starts this weekend on Saturday, September 18 at 7.45pm on BBC One. How do you think Robert will get on? Will it be so rainbow rhythms? Or so not rainbow rhythms?

+ More stories