North Kesteven

An allotment owner angry over a North Kesteven District Council decision to uphold a 70-year-old planning application has dropped his judicial review action.

David Plummer challenged the authority after officers gave the go ahead in July to continue a part-built housing application made by the former East Kesteven Rural District Council on land in Walcot in 1951.

The decision was made under a Lawful Development Certificate, a separate process to a planning application which can be used to confirm an existing use of a building is lawful or that a proposal does not require planning permission to be applied for.

Four of the 10 homes had been built and the remaining land has since been rented out as allotments or garden areas.

Mr Plummer confirmed he has since dropped the review, but continues to question the decision.

“The council is showing an astonishing level of arrogance towards their constituents, who are only asking to be consulted about this extraordinary piece of legislation that nobody has ever heard of and the far reaching implications on Walcot,” he said.

“I discontinued my legal case to allow the council the freedom to answer questions about their moral obligations as the local planning authority.”

“The residents deserve to have their questions answered at a meeting once lockdown restrictions have been lifted,” he said.

Some of the houses were built back in the 50s, however, not all of them were. Photo: Google Streetview

Campaigners say the original plans were “abandoned” and believe the council should have sought the opinion of a “neutral authority”. They say there had been a lack of consultation.

A recent planning application for three new homes and two barn conversions was refused by NKDC describing Walcot as a “countryside location, protected by the provisions of the Central Lincolnshire Local Plan”.

North Kesteven District Council Leader Councillor Richard Wright said the decision was in line with national legislation and subject to legal assessment.

He said consultation had taken place with the parish council and residents “although there was strictly speaking no requirement for the council to do so.”

Officers explained the procedure on request to interested parties in an open and transparent way, he said.

“In this case it was confirmed that the original planning permission granted is still capable of being completed, as the evidence demonstrated that the 1951 planning permission had already been implemented and the site had not been subject to any subsequent change of use since,” said Councillor Wright.

He said since the LDC was not a planning application and does not come under the Central Lincolnshire Local Plan, it “cannot be compared to any recent planning applications in Walcot.”

“The policy within the Central Lincolnshire Local Plan on development in the countryside is also not relevant,” he said.

However, added: “The council is yet to determine our future plans for the site.”

RAF Waddington was treated to a famous visitor on Wednesday evening, when the C17 Globemaster landed at the airbase.

Based normally at RAF Brize Norton, the C17 Globemaster aircraft flew to Lincolnshire as part of routine but essential military flying training.

It landed at RAF Waddington but headed back to Brize Norton soon after.

It was only a brief visit for the aircraft before heading home. | Photo: MOD Crown

The plane was utilised by 99 Squadron, who have been the sole UK operator of that aircraft for 20 years.

Developed in the United States, the Boeing C17 Globemaster III is a heavy-lift transport aircraft used for missions across the world.

Standing at almost 17m wide and 53m long, it was certainly a recognisable visitor at RAF Waddington’s airbase.

The incredible aircraft has been at Brize Norton’s base for 20 years. | Photo: MOD Crown

A JCB stolen overnight from Horbling was used in a ram raid on a Co-op store in Billingborough, near Sleaford, in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Lincolnshire Police said an ATM machine was removed from the store on High Street at around 4am on Wednesday, October 21.

The robbers placed the machine into a car, but it fell from the vehicle as they fled the scene, so it was left behind.

The store is expected to reopen on Thursday, October 22 after some repair work.

A stolen JCB was used in the ram raid. | Photo: Dan Green

A spokesperson for Co-op said: “There was an incident in the early hours of this morning at our High Street, Billingborough, store where there was an unsuccessful attack on the community’s ATM.

“We appeal for anyone who may have seen or heard anything to come forward to Police, who are investigating.

“The store remains closed while we await repairs and the outcome of structural assessments and we expect to re-open tomorrow (Thursday, October 22) to serve the community.”

A road closure was put in place. | Photo: Dan Green

Police are appealing for witnesses and people with dashcam footage, or who noticed anyone acting suspiciously prior to the theft, to contact them on 101 or via email at [email protected] quoting incident number 39 of October 21.

Alternatively, it can also be reported through the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Various Co-op and Lincolnshire Co-op stores have been the victims of ram raids over the last three years, including in Crowland, Long Sutton, North Somercotes, Witham St Hughs and Scotter.

+ More stories