North Lincolnshire

Scunthorpe United have postponed their next three league games as eight unnamed players tested positive for COVID-19 after testing on Monday.

The Iron has seen a rising number of cases amongst playing and coaching staff, with a further 10 having to self-isolating due to coming into close contact with the eight players.

This leaves just 10 players available and, as a precaution, training for the unaffected players and staff will stop for seven days.

Due to these cases, the club has advised the EFL that it is unable to safely fulfil the Sky Bet League Two fixtures against Salford City (October 27), Colchester United (October 30) and Port Vale (November 3) at present.

In a statement Scunthorpe said: “The club is following all of Public Health England and the EFL’s COVID-19 protocols and will not name the players in question.

“We ask that their request for privacy and confidentiality are respected at this time.

“We wish those affected a swift and safe recovery and look forward to welcoming them back to the club soon.”

Meanwhile, iFollow match passes that have already been bought for the postponed games can be used for the rearranged fixtures.

A 16-year-old boy and 32-year-old woman have been arrested for the investigation into a Scunthorpe shooting incident that left a man fighting for his life in hospital.

Five men were already been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after the incident on Dale Street on Monday night, which police believe was a targeted attack.

Police confirmed on Friday, October 23 that the 16-year-old was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, while the woman was arrested for conspiracy to commit murder, and both remain in custody.

The five men arrested earlier this week were released on conditional bail, but two of them have since been taken back into custody on prison recall.

The 26-year-old victim who was taken to hospital following the incident remains in a serious but stable condition.

Drugs and cash were seized, and a quad bike was recovered, as a number of addresses were searched this week as police followed up a number of lines of enquiry to establish what happened.

Police and armed officers attended the scene.

Detective Chief Inspector Phil Gadd said: “Work is continuing, exploring every line of enquiry, to determine the full circumstances which led to this targeted attack.

“Making our communities feel safer and united following any incident of this seriousness is extremely important to us, which is why officers have been maintaining a highly visible presence in the area to offer reassurance to the community and listen to any concerns raised.

“You will continue to see that visible presence over the coming days as our enquiries continue.

“I would encourage anyone who has not yet spoken with us, who has any information, no matter how small, that may be able to assist with our investigation to come and speak to us.”

Anyone with information should call Humberside Police on 101 quoting log number 713 of October 19, or through the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

A 29-year-old man from Scunthorpe who was aggressive towards two paramedics and punched one of them, has been sentenced to a year in jail.

An ambulance was called to a children’s play area in Scunthorpe on Wednesday, August 12 after a group of concerned children spotted Luke Wilson, of West Street in Scunthorpe, lying down there.

Wilson became aggressive after the two paramedics arrived at the scene and helped him to get up onto his feet. The two emergency workers backed away from Wilson as he started to swing his arms towards them and shout abuse.

He also punched one of the paramedics in the wrist when they tried to use their radio to request back-up.

Wilson pleaded guilty to two counts of assault of an emergency worker at Grimsby Magistrates Court on October 8.

He also pleaded guilty to a charge of possessing a bladed article in a public area and he was also ordered to pay a £156 surcharge.

The East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS) spoke publicly about the incident on October 22.

EMAS Paramedic Kevin Martin was responding with his colleague from Scunthorpe Ambulance Station.

He said: “When we arrived at the scene we could tell that the man was conscious and breathing but it looked like he was intoxicated so we proceeded with caution.

“I am glad that these young children who phoned for an ambulance had decided not to approach this man, as I dread to think how he would have behaved given the way he reacted to us.

“When we returned to the ambulance I pushed the ‘red button’ which sends out an alert to all my colleagues in the area that we were in distress and needed immediate help.

“We could not continue to respond to other patients who may have needed us while we were dealing with this patient’s violent behaviour and then because we needed to help the police with their enquiries.

“I have worked for the ambulance service for just under 30 years and this is the second time I have experienced a serious assault like this in only a matter of months.”

A few months prior to this incident another patient had pulled out a machete on Kevin and threatened him.

Kelvin Langford, Local Security Management Specialist at EMAS, said that assaults on their staff are “absolutely unacceptable” and EMAS “take a zero-tolerance approach towards anyone who verbally or physically assaults them”.

+ More stories