Retford

A local man is calling on the council — any council — to sort out a pothole-riddled road on the Lincolnshire-Nottinghamshire border that has been causing problems for over five years.

Domestic cleaner Dave, who is based near Gainsborough and wished to keep his surname anonymous, recently complained about Drinsey Nook Lane via the FixMyStreet.

Dave said the road, which is just after the Worksop turning coming out of Saxilby, is “the worst road in Lincolnshire”.

In response to his report, Dave was initially told by Nottinghamshire County Council that it would fall under Lincolnshire. However, Lincolnshire County Council said this road comes under Nottinghamshire.

There was more confusion when Nottinghamshire County Council told Dave that the highways team has inspected the road and required repairs have been ordered.

| Photo: Twitter

| Photo: Twitter

This was then contradicted in an email he received from the council, which said “we will inspect the problem and schedule a safety repair if required”, indicating it had not yet been looked at.

Dave received this email from Nottinghamshire County Council.

Gary Wood, Head of Highways and Transport at Nottinghamshire County Council, said: “We are aware of potholes on Drisney Nook Lane and works have been ordered on this stretch of road.

“Our top priority is to keep the highways safe for all road users, so where potholes are found and meet our criteria for repair, our team will undertake a safety repair within 24 hours for the most urgent defects.

“Heavy rainfall and freezing temperatures over the past couple of months have caused a number of potholes and they can appear very quickly in these conditions.

“Reporting a pothole to us is simple and can be done online through our website or through the county council’s MyNotts App.”

The problematic road is just after the Worksop turning, coming out of Saxilby. | Photo: Dave H

Dave told The Lincolnite: “I’ve seen better farm and off road tracks. There are too many potholes to count and the majority of them are over 10 inches. The problem has been getting worse.

“I travel across Lincolnshire a lot and have never come across a road like this before anywhere. It needs ripping up and redoing. There is no point in a repair as it will break again, it needs rebuilding.”

A 33-year-old man from Lincoln has been spared jail after a single-punch attack outside a pub in Newark left his victim needing surgery to a broken jaw.

Sam Bagworth punched his victim in the face, causing him to collapse to the ground unconscious during the incident in Carter Gate in Newark on December 15, 2019.

Bagworth, of West Street, Brant Broughton, Lincoln, had left a pub in the area and soon began speaking with the victim and their interaction became heated.

A number of onlookers intervened in the argument and a marked police car was also in the area at the time. The police car had noticed the disturbance at around 2am.

Police remained there until most of the people around had dispersed. However, as soon as the police car left, Bagworth punched his victim in the face, leaving him unconscious for a short time.

People in the area helped the victim to his feet once he regained consciousness, who then headed home.

He was still not feeling well a day later so attended hospital, where an x-ray showed that his left jaw had been fractured. The victim was transferred to the Queen’s Medical Centre for surgery.

Bagworth appeared at Nottingham Crown Court for sentencing on Wednesday, February 10. He pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm without intent.

He was sentenced to 10 months, suspended for 18 months. He was also ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid work and pay £600 in compensation, as well as a victim surcharge of £149.

Detective Constable Tim McDonnell, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “This is a stark reminder that one punch can be extremely dangerous, and this incident highlights the trauma that these kind of assaults can inflict on victims.

“Bagworth had involved himself in an argument after being at the local pub for some time, which unnecessarily escalated the situation.

“The punch he delivered caused a man to be left with a broken jaw and knocked him unconscious, which left him feeling ill for a while after.

“Not only this, a police car was in the area beforehand to deal with the disturbance caused prior to this, and it was clear that he took the opportunity to act irrationally and deliver this punch once the officers were out of sight.

“This kind of behaviour is unacceptable and in Nottinghamshire we take such reports extremely seriously.

“It is a testament to officers investigating the case that Bagworth was brought to court and that he will need to complete this work, pay the charges and have this sentence hanging over him for the next year and a half.”

A woman has been sentenced for causing the death of a motorcyclist near Newark during a hands-free telephone call.

John Aves, 42, died as he travelled on the A46 near Flintham, near Newark, during the evening of Wednesday, December 11, 2019.

He was hit from behind by a car, which was driven by 40-year-old Natasha Labidi, and knocked to the ground.

Labidi saw Mr Aves at the last second and swerved to the outside lane, but was unable to avoid a collision that sent the victim tumbling into the carriageway.

Police believe he may then have been hit by another car. He was given first aid at the scene, but died around two hours later in hospital.

Labidi was found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving last month. She appeared at Nottingham Magistrates Court for sentencing on Wednesday, February 10.

Labidi, of Anson Road, Newton, was sentenced to a 12-month community order with 150 hours of unpaid work in the community.

She was also disqualified from driving for 12 months and ordered to pay costs of £1,200.

In a statement released ahead of the sentencing, Mr Aves’ family said: “John was the youngest of three sons and losing him has left a part of all our hearts missing forever. He meant the world to us all, and that can never be replaced. We think about him every day and miss him so much.

“We can only begin to imagine what John went through on that night. We think about this all the time. The pain he must have been in – he must have been so frightened it breaks our hearts every time we think about that frightful night. No one deserves to die in this way, especially not our John.

“It is a horrible nightmare that we now live as you never expect your children to go first, and certainly not in such a horrible way.

“We will never see John get married, nor have children of his own. We cannot help but be angry that someone’s actions have taken this from us. John was at a stage of getting his life together when this happened. He had a good job and a girlfriend and he deserved happiness, but it was all taken from him so soon.

“We think about him all the time. This will not lessen in time, it will be this way forever. The only consolation we take from that awful night is that he was not alone and was surrounded by some lovely people who cared for him to the best of their abilities and going above and beyond – including one individual travelling with him in the ambulance to the hospital. For that we are thankful and will be forever grateful.”

Case Investigator Louise Melbourne, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “Whilst speaking hands free is not in itself against the law, using a phone in this way can have an effect on concentration levels and can distract attention away from the road.

“I hope that people who read about this tragic case will think about their own mobile phone use and adjust their behaviour accordingly. Making or taking a phone call when driving simply isn’t worth the risk. The consequences, as this case demonstrates, can be devastating for everyone involved.”

Meanwhile, Nottinghamshire Police is taking part in a national campaign, which started on February 8, to target drivers who use their mobile phones when driving. It sees fines for the offence increase to £200, as well as drivers being given six points on their licence.

+ More stories