Community

Developers want to to build a 66 bed care home for the elderly on Daisy Road in Holbeach.

LNT Care Developments said the care home will have fully en-suite bedrooms, spacious communal areas, a cinema, library, garden room and tea shop surrounded by landscaped gardens.

Nick Broadbent, Development Director at the company, said: “We are delighted to be involved in providing a care home in Holbeach. The home is designed to provide a high-quality resource for elderly people in the local community.

“The facility will incorporate intelligent dementia design and be eco-friendly by benefitting from ground source heat pumps and LED lighting keeping utility costs low.”

LNT is currently building on 16 sites nationwide.

Proposed view to inner courtyard. | Image: LNT Care Developments

Chairman of the Council, Francis Biggadike for the Holbeach Town ward, said: “Government now recognise there is a need to improve the care for the elderly population and this application will help to achieve this aim.”

South Holland District Council will decide in due course whether plans will be approved or rejected.

Site location for care home. | Image: LNT Care Developments

Area where care home could be built in Holbeach. | Image: Google Maps

A charity in Lincoln provided 80 healthy meals in just one hour as it began supplying free school meals for children — and it’s only just getting started.

Abbey Access Training has been busy making hot food for children entitled to the free school meals scheme at the Arboretum Cafe on Monks Road.

The charity will be providing meals for families of Monks Abbey School pupils to collect twice a week, with help from funding courtesy of Bishop Grosseteste University.

“Community makes community” is the message from Arboretum Cafe as they provide meals for children.

On the first day of the offer (Thursday, January 14) the cafe reported 80 meals collected in just one hour, with many more still expected in the coming weeks.

Sharon Emms from the charity said they will be making healthy, nutritious meals for children for the next six weeks.

She said: “We are ensuring all meals are packed full of vegetables which are low in salt and have no sugar or artificial ingredients added.

“Everything is made from scratch and we are handing out two meals to last two days, plus fresh fruit.”

Brilliant work from the Arboretum Cafe!

Large lasagnes and bolognese meals were made by volunteers at Abbey Access Training before being packed away and arranged for collections.

Ingredients were donated by supermarket Asda, as well as the Lincoln Community Larder (food bank) and Bookers.

Asda offered help by providing ingredients to the cafe for their meals. | Photo: Arboretum Cafe

It comes as a direct response to criticism of the government’s external school meal provider Chartwells, whose food hampers came under scrutiny for their £30 price tag.

Premier League footballer Marcus Rashford also joined in the debate, calling the photos that emerged online “unacceptable” in his battle to end child food poverty.

This has since prompted a response from Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who spoke with Rashford on the phone telling him that an investigation into the hampers has taken place.

Education secretary Gavin Williamson has now said that families would be offered vouchers instead of the hampers as of next week.

Arboretum Cafe has put out an appeal to anyone who may need help to provide hot meals for their children.

“Please do not struggle, email us now [email protected] and we will work our hardest to make sure that no one is left behind in this time of need.”

Mourners gathered and tears were shed as the funeral procession for Boston schoolboy Roberts Buncis travelled through the streets of Boston on Thursday afternoon.

An inquest earlier this month revealed that 12-year-old Roberts, who was born in Liepaja in Latvia and lived with his dad Edgars in Boston, suffered fatal stab wounds to the neck, chest and abdomen.

His body was found at Alcorn Green in Fishtoft on December 12 last year, just two days before his 13th birthday. A 14-year-old is due to stand trial for murder.

Prior to the private family service at Boston Cemetery, the funeral procession went down Tawney Street/Robin Hood’s Walk and people were able to pay their respects along the route.

| Photo: John Aron

| Photo: John Aron

| Photo: John Aron

| Photo: John Aron

| Photo: John Aron

| Photo: John Aron

| Photo: John Aron

People were advised not to gather in groups, to wear face masks and to observe social distancing but school friends and members of staff were allowed to pay their respects and release balloons as Roberts’ funeral procession passed.

Balloons were later tied onto the railings at Haven High Academy, which Roberts attended.

Residents were also allowed to stand outside their homes in the sleet and snow as the hearse passed along streets near Roberts’ home.

Family friend Agnes Emsina, who raised over £21,000 for Roberts’ family via a JustGiving Page, previously said that due to the coronavirus pandemic, and limited numbers permitted at funerals, people were asked not to enter the cemetery or chapel and anyone doing so would be turned away.

| Photo: John Aron

| Photo: John Aron

| Photo: John Aron

| Photo: John Aron

Roberts’ father Edgars had urged people to “please remember Roberts with flowers and a smile”.

Matthew Van Lier, headteacher at Haven High, described Roberts in a tribute as a “popular young man destined for a life of joy, happiness and success”.

Edgars Buncis and his son Roberts. | Photo: Lincolnshire Police

| Photo: John Aron

| Photo: John Aron

| Photo: John Aron

| Photo: John Aron

The recent inquest was adjourned pending further police inquiry as Lincolnshire Police’s murder investigations continue.

Three teenagers were arrested as a result of the incident, a 14-year-old boy was eventually charged with murder while the other two, a 19-year-old and a 13-year-old, were released.

The 14-year-old boy who was charged with murder appeared in court on Monday, December 14 with a bandage wrapped around a hand wound.

The suspect will face a provisional trial date on June 21 in connection with the incident.

+ More stories