A large section of the A1 near Grantham has been closed in both directions after an overturned HGV ended up going over a central reservation.
A full carriageway closure between the A52 at Barrowby and A607 at Harlaxton was enforced in both directions. This was reduced to one single lane by the time of writing.
Emergency services are at the scene trying to recover the vehicle from the central reservation after it flipped onto its roof on Wednesday morning.
Lincolnshire Police told The Lincolnite: “Officers are currently dealing with a collision on the A1, Great North Road, Barrowby in Grantham.
“A lorry has collided into the central reservation and has overturned, affecting north bound and south bound traffic on the A1.
“The driver and passenger of the lorry sustained injuries not believed to be serious.
“There will be delays for some time while officers, Fire & Rescue and paramedics deal with the incident. Please avoid the area and look for alternative routes if possible.”
Highways England are advising diversion routes for drivers in both directions of the road, as huge queues are emerging and further delays are expected.
Northbound traffic has been advised to follow the solid black square diversion symbol on road signs via the following:
- Exit the A1 at B117 Little Ponton and follow the B1174 into Grantham to the junction with the A52
- Turn right onto the A52 and continue on the the A52 until the A52/A15 roundabout.
- At the A52/A15 roundabout take the 1st exit onto the A15 northbound.
- Follow the A15 until the A15/A17 Holdingham roundabout and take the 1st exit onto the A17 westbound.
- Continue on the A17 until the A17/A1/A46 roundabout and take the 2nd exit onto the A46.
- Follow the A46 to the A46/A1 Brownhills roundabout and take the 3rd exit onto the A1 northbound entry slip road and rejoin the A1 northbound.
Southbound road users should follow the hollow black square diversion symbol on road signs via:
- Exit the A1 at A52 Barrowby junction and turn left onto the A52 west.
- Continue along the A52 to the A52/A46 Saxondale roundabout and take the 1st exit onto the A46 south.
- Follow the A46 south to the A46/A606 interchange and join the A606 heading south east.
- Continue on the A606 to Melton Mowbray and at the A606/A607/A6006 junction turn left onto A607 Norman Way.
- Continue on the A607 to the A607/A606/B676 Norman Way/Thorpe Lane junction and turn left and continue on the A607.
- Follow the A607 to the A607/A1 southbound entry slip road at Harlaxton and rejoin the A1 southbound.