Several local businesses have started delivery services in an attempt to survive the coronavirus outbreak.
Businesses in Lincoln face worrying times after Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned people to avoid pubs, clubs, theatres and social venues. The government relaxed its rules so pubs and restaurants can operate as hot food takeaways.
— Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Govt (@mhclg) March 18, 2020
Restaurants on the Brayford Wharf in Lincoln were forced to temporarily close their dining areas.
Along with a number of other city centre closures, parts of Lincoln have become eerily quiet, but some businesses have begun to diversify to try and combat the financial implications of the coronavirus outbreak.
The Lincolnite has put together the following comprehensive list of businesses offering delivery services or other similar initiatives.
- Browns Pie Shop – It is currently still open and will honour bookings, but it has also launched Browns home delivery. It is also offering a DIY Box for anyone who planned to cook but hasn’t managed to get the ingredients needed. Delivery service from 12pm-8.30pm on 01522 527330. Takeaway collection from 12pm.
- Ole Ole -The tapas bar is taking orders online for delivery and collection with a minimum order value of £20 – click here to place an order.
- Treaty of Commerce – The High Street pub said customers can now purchase takeaways of their favourite ales. Just bring your own container, with washed out plastic milk cartons advised. It is £2 a pint while stocks last!
- Salted Orange Food Co – A meal delivery service for the over 65s providing three home-cooked and nutritionally balanced meals per day for £20 a week. To order, contact the team at Salted Orange on [email protected] or call 07792419730
- Cafe Shanti – It is still open as usual, but will move to delivering instead once it is forced to close. It is also now open from 7.30am for breakfast too. Anyone not comfortable going inside the restaurant at the moment can call to order and food will be brought outside for you. Contact the cafe on 07735161481
- Fresh From The Fields Ltd Ermine – Healthy fruit and vegetables can be delivered to your door. Payments can be made via bank transfer priory to deliver or cash can be left in an envelope so no contact is needed. There is usually a £15 minimum delivery, but this has been reduced to £10. Please check with your nearest Fresh From The Fields Ltd branch for specific information on what services they are offering
- Bar Unico – Still open and has launched a free home delivery service with a minimum order value of £10. This is for people living or working within a seven mile radius of Lincoln between 10am-4pm. Orders can be placed by calling 01522 568294, by email at [email protected] or via the bar’s Facebook page
- Veg-out Lincoln – The business previously said if local schools close it will try and help by providing a nutritious breakfast and lunch for £2.50 per child per day. It said it will not be making a profit from the initiative as “sometimes it’s just right to do the right thing and support the local community”
- Imperial Teas – It is offering free delivery to all LN postcodes. Orders can be placed online here or via phone on 01522 560008.
- Curtis of Lincoln – Curtis is open for business as usual across the county, but is now offering new services. Orders can be placed with your local shop over the phone for goods to be collected with minimal contact. A free delivery service is also bing offered for Lincoln and surrounding areas to allow anyone self-isolating or just wishing to avoid the shops. Mobile vans are also still operating around the county – see the firm’s Facebook page for the van timetable and other details
- The Garden Tea Room – Currently offering delivery, including of afternoon tea, from Monday to Saturday between 10am-3pm, but this could change. Minimum orders of £5, but no charge for delivery. To place an order contact the venue on 07538 862963 or visit its Facebook page
- Peony Tea Parlour – Currently offering delivery, including of afternoon tea, from Tuesday to Saturday between 10am-3pm, but still could change. Minimum orders of £5, but no charge for delivery. To place an order contact the venue on 07821 118490 or visit its Facebook page
- The Birdcage Lincoln Pub & Kitchen – The pub is currently open, but the Deliveroo service will remain active even if the premises is later forced to temporarily shut
- Simpsons Butchers – Providing a local delivery service. Payment over the phone can be made with goods delivered to doorstops to protect the vulnerable. Orders can be placed online here or by contacting the Heckington store on 01529 460403.
- Pennells Garden Centre – It is offering free delivery to anyone at home through self-isolation. It is available to people within a 10 mile radius of the garden centre and payments can be taken between £25-£100. There will be no contact with the driver, so it is advised to not open the door until they have left. Cash payments will not be accepted. Anyone interested should call 01522 880033
- The Munch Box Lincoln – It is offering a hot food delivery van service. It will supply breakfast items from 7.30am-11.30am, lunches 11.30am-2pm and a tea time service from 5pm-8pm. All foods can be served as a prepared meal or as food parcels to cook yourself. Freezer packs or hampers of fresh meat are also available. For more information email [email protected] or ring 07834 695785
- Caffè Portico – It will stay open as usual until such time as it is told to close. It is offering a full menu and customers can choose to eat in or pick up a takeaway order. The Friday Pizza night will continue as usual, with extra options to pick up a takeaway order without entering. As an extra service it will also operate its wood fired oven on Saturday
- TODDS Group – It will continue its delivery of office supplies and furniture. For the time being it is now also being extended to include delivery to home addresses for anyone who is working remotely. The delivery is free of charge.
In addition to delivery services, some businesses are trying to do their bit by offering discounts to NHS staff.
Local taxi firm Direct Cars (Lincoln) Limited is offering a 20% discount to NHS staff for journeys to and from work during the coronavirus outbreak.
The Dog Adventure Centre in Lincoln is offering all NHS staff half-price daycare and boarding for their dogs whenever they need it.
Any other businesses that have launched similar initiatives should email full details to [email protected] to be included in the guide. We’re happy to help you promote your efforts.