Mablethorpe

Over £1.5 million will be spent on a makeover to transform Mablethorpe’s Co-op shop, including the addition of a new Boyes home and family department store.

The shop on Seacroft Road will remain open during the 12 week programme of works, which will transform the 17,000 square foot store.

The works will finish ready for an official relaunch at the beginning of December 2021.

The Co-op store runs on 100% renewable electricity and supports 55 local jobs with Boyes.

This is the first time Co-op has partnered with Boyes and it is currently advertising for new positions within the store.

Students in Mablethorpe who are TOTUM cardholders – the new name for NUS extra – will receive a 10% discount of groceries at the Co-op.

Co-op will also introduce online home delivery and click & collect of groceries through its own online shop.

Kevin Ferguson, Co-op Store Manager, said: “We are delighted to have the opportunity to invest in Mablethorpe, the store will be completely transformed over the coming weeks with a fresh new layout, range and choice, not to mention added services including our Post Office, Co-op’s own online shop operating from the store for the first time, and the inclusion of a new Boyes store, which we are confident will prove to be a very popular addition – the team is very excited.

“We would like to thank our customers for their patience as we continue to stay open during the works, and we are really looking forward to our relaunch in December.”

Lynn Riches, Boyes Regional Manager, said: “Boyes are extremely excited about being part of the Mablethorpe community, bringing our range of crafts, DIY, homewares and clothing to more people.

“We’re delighted to be working with the Co-op and to be joining them as part of their investment and transformation of this store. We look forward to opening and meeting new customers.”

Lincolnshire County Council is set to permanently scrap its Saturday waste collection service in Stamford and Mablethorpe.

The two towns do not have their own tips, so the waste collection service was run in Stamford’s Cattle Market car park, but it was suspended in March 2020.

And this week the Environment and Economy Scrutiny Committee at Lincolnshire County Council made the recommendation on Tuesday, October 19, to permanently discontinue the service.

The committee voted eight in favour and three against. A previous attempt to terminate the service was rejected by the committee back in 2016.

The supplementary waste collections will be subject to a decision by Daniel McNally, Executive Councillor for Waste and Trading Standards, between October 21 and 28, 2021.

Student Rose Battey presented a petition at the meeting, which demands that the county council restores the Saturday recycling materials collection from Stamford Cattle Market car park. | Screenshot: LCC meeting

A petition set up by 18-year-old Stamford student Rose Battey, which so far has over 1,600 signatures including from South Kesteven District Council Leader Kelham Cooke, was presented at the meeting.

Watch the full meeting here (from around 12.50).

The petition demands that the county council restores the Saturday recycling materials collection from Stamford Cattle Market car park. Rose said it is a “well-used, accessible, local service – there is no justification for removing it”.

On the petition page, she said: “Stamford, with over 20,000 residents, is the largest town in Lincolnshire without a waste recycling centre, and with proposed housing developments, it is growing. The absence of recycling options encourages littering and fly-tipping.”

She added: “Stamford residents are forced to travel to our nearest waste recycling centre in Bourne; not everyone has access to a suitable car, can afford the petrol costs or can spare the time for the trip.

“Notwithstanding that the journey creates CO2 emissions that are pumped into the atmosphere. How is that ensuring that Lincolnshire meets the government’s target of net zero carbon emissions by 2050?”

The petition has the support of both of Stamford’s county councillors. After the meeting Richard Cleaver, county councillor for Stamford West, told The Lincolnite: “I’m disappointed that the scrutiny committee decided to accept the recommendation to discontinue the Saturday waste collection services in Stamford and Mablethorpe.

“I think it was a wasted opportunity that they did not take up my suggestion to investigate how these once a week collection services could be retained and improved to increase recycling and avoid further waste being sent to landfill.”

Councillor Ray Wootten, chairman of the environment and economy scrutiny committee at Lincolnshire County Council, said: “For me, this recommendation needed to be supported. We must do all we can to recycle and the supplementary services provide no opportunities for recycling.

“In fact, the material collected goes to landfill. I would rather residents visit their local HWRC, where items can be separated and recycled and the general waste can be transported to the Energy from Waste and made into electricity.”

A Mablethorpe care worker who stole more than £9,000 from the bank accounts of two elderly clients has been given a suspended jail sentence.

Tessa Sikes, 30, of High Street, Mablethorpe, admitted two allegations of fraud, while working as a carer for the two vulnerable pensioners.

Lincoln Crown Court heard that between January 2019 and January 2020 Sikes took the bank cards of two of her clients and used them to purchase items including clothing, a coffee machine, internet provision and Sky TV.

Hal Ewing, prosecuting, said one was an 83-year-old man with dementia who she cheated out of £9,500 and the other a 77-year-old housebound woman who lost more than £300. Both were clients visited regularly by Sikes.

Mr Ewing said there were a number of fraudulent transactions showing on the first victim’s bank statement and three on the second victim’s account.

Sikes denied any fraudulent behaviour during her first police interview and claimed a coffee machine which was bought on the first victim’s bank card was a gift from a friend.

David Eager, mitigating, said Sikes was working as a carer to feed her two children and was previously the victim of an abusive relationship which left her with little money.

Many of the items bought with the cards were sold to get food for her children.

“She has not come to court in a Ferrari,” Mr Eager added. “She loved being a carer.”

Mr Eager told the court Sikes indicated a guilty plea at her first court appearance.

“From the first moment she spoke to me she has been honest about her offending.

“She has been honest with the probation service.”

Since the offending Sikes is holding two jobs down at a garage and a supermarket to help pay compensation to her victims, Mr Eager added.

Passing sentence Recorder Jennifer Jones told Sikes: “It is a quite remarkable breach of trust. The victims here were particularly vulnerable.”

But the Recorder said she had taken into account Sikes’ difficult personal circumstances and her previous good character which meant she could suspend her jail sentence.

Sikes was sentenced to 16 months imprisonment, suspended for two years. She must also complete 75 hours of unpaid work in the community and obey a six month electronically monitored curfew.

+ More stories