August 11, 2022 1.23 pm

CCTV operators helped in the rescue of two children who found themselves in difficulty while playing on an inflatable in the sea at Mablethorpe.

A duty CCTV operator based at Boston Borough Council was monitoring cameras covering Mablethorpe’s Queen’s Park when he first observed the children in difficulty and raised the alarm to the emergency services.

The district’s 24/7 CCTV monitoring is a partnership approach which operates from a shared control room at Boston Borough Council.

The incident happened on Wednesday, August 3 just after 3pm when the operator observed two children on a black rubber ring in the sea at Mablethorpe. They were approximately 150 metres out from the beach and struggling to paddle back.

The children were seen moving out further to sea and the duty CCTV operator contacted Lincolnshire Police while another operator kept a close watch on the children.

The incident saw a lifeboat being deployed, RNLI lifeguards at the scene and police also attended.

All the time, the CCTV operators kept observing the children in distress and were able to quickly dispel false information given at the scene that the owners of the inflatable were safe and back on the shore.

This led to a RNLI lifeguard entering the sea where he swam 800m to safely rescue them.

The children were checked over by paramedics and luckily were able to go home an hour later.

Cllr Steve Kirk, portfolio holder for the Coastal Economy who also has responsibility for Water Safety said: “This could have been a very tragic incident if it was not for the two CCTV operators’ observations, quick reporting and factual updates given to the emergency services during what was a fast-moving live incident. This could have had sad and devastating consequences.

“As well as this incident, the RNLI lifeguards have made other rescues involving inflatables in recent days on our coastline.

“The message is simple – don’t bring inflatables when visiting our beautiful beaches. They may appear to be a fun, beach accessory but we know how dangerous they can be and how quickly the current in the North Sea can change. You can quickly drift further into sea and even the best swimmers can get into difficulty.

“We want everyone who comes to the Lincolnshire coast for the day or on holiday to have a safe and enjoyable experience every time they visit. Please do not risk the dangers that come with taking an inflatable out to sea.”

The RNLI has a host of beach safety advice – read more here

A duty CCTV operator based at Boston Borough Council was monitoring cameras covering Mablethorpe’s Queen’s Park. | Photo: East Lindsey District Council

August 9, 2022 11.08 am

The Fairy Dell paddling pool in Skegness is closed to the public following a fire inside a power sub-station at the weekend.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue attended Waterfall Gardens on Sunday, August 7. No one was hurt in the fire.

The popular paddling pool remains closed today (Tuesday, August 9) as there is no power to operate the facility’s water system and fountains. East Lindsey District Council officers are working hard to deliver a solution to bring power back to the attraction as soon as possible.

Cllr Steve Kirk, Portfolio Holder for the Coastal Economy, said: “The fire inside the sub-station, which was fully refurbished ahead of last year’s illuminations, means the facility has unfortunately had to close.

“I am working with Officers to see if a generator-led solution can be secured within the next few days to enable the Fairy Dell to reopen as soon as possible. By doing this, the paddling pool should be able to reopen much faster than waiting for the necessary repairs to be made to the sub-station.

“The Fairy Dell has always been very important to Skegness. It is a much-loved free attraction that is well used by residents, day visitors and holiday makers alike.

“We all want it open again as soon as possible so people can get back to using it and continue enjoying their holidays here in Skegness.”

A cause for the fire is under investigation but Western Power Distribution does not believe it to be electrical.

+ More stories